mtbr member
    Mar 2007

iron horse azure comp or mk III?

Recently shopping for my 5th mountain bike, haven't purchased one since '02. Was originally focusing on a santa cruz superlight or jamis dakar 2.0, checked out the rs site and am leaning toward an iron horse azure or mk III. Great pricing that def. allows for upgrades, checked both of them at performance and am leaning toward the azure since it is lighter and i mostly ride xc. Mk III seems to have better specs. Any thoughts? thanks for your help.

I endorse self propulsion
    i recently got an MKIII and find it to be burly XC'ish, which to me is a good thing. it can take some big hits, but its geometry is pretty steep (70 degree head angle) so it maneuvers and climbs well. i say that unless you want to race or are only interested in speed, go with the MKIII.
    "Pops trippin', he want me to ask for my bike back. You know I wouldn't trip."

mtbr member
    Feb 2004

Azure or MKIII

I went through a similar decision and chose the Azure. I ride XC and my other bike was a Bontrager TiLite. I instantly felt comfortable on the Azure. The fit is great for me. The only negative I can think of for it is the rear tire clearance is tight. I bought a 2005 Azure expert that weighs in at 27.5 lbs. I am only 5' 5" tall. The Azure has standover clearance for me in a 17" frame. All the longer travel bikes I rode felt like they were too tall for me.
    They are both great bikes buy the one you are more comfortable with.

Freshly Fujified

Welcome to the forums

2 nice bikes you're looking at. Unless you need the additional travel on the MK III, I'd stick with the Azure. Just my thoughts though.

Bob
    'If Wal-Mart sold parachutes, who would jump?' Frank Havnoonian (quoting his father) Drexel Hill Cyclery