knock-knock...

Iron Horse 3.0 or Motobecan Fantom Trail?

So, my bike just got jacked and im looking to get a new one here
    after a little research, these bikes both look pretty good.
    Just wondering if there are any opinions out there on either one of these. I think I would by a pair of BB7s for the Iron Horse, mostly cuz i hear bad things about the deore mechs.
    I was also looking at the 700 HT by Motobecane and would prob put the avids on that as well.
    I ride pretty hard xc a lot and do a little urban/jumping from time to time. enough to break a lot of things on my old bike.

thanks for any input
    peace
    scott

knock-knock...
    ps im 6', about 175. and have a budget of about 600. Im also open to any suggestions.
    peace

Currently Looking
    The Ibex gets great reviews....

Also K2s are on sale at RS Cycles...

knock-knock...
    Quote Originally Posted by EmersonHart13
    The Ibex gets great reviews....

Also K2s are on sale at RS Cycles...

sweet. i checked some of them out, none of them really screamed great deal at me though

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Have you thought about a 29er? Check the Motobecane Fantom29 @ bikesdirect.com for $595 (Check the "sizing tips" info at that site first though). A forum member (MPG I think) did a blog where he compared that bike to some others..(Check the search and the blogs)

mtbr member
    Jun 2004

With your size and weight....

this is probably the best deal going, although it's over your limit. Might be worth using the credit card:

http://www.rscycle.com/s.nl/it.A/id....&category=4959

knock-knock...
    I hadnt really thought about it at all. the fantom 29er seems really good. Im concerned about the rims though, are the bigger rims sturdy enough to take a hit from a set of stairs or something like that? i live on a college campus so when i cant get out to the trails i do a little urban riding. i still think ill try and find a 29er to ride now though. thanks

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    I can't really say much about the strength of the wheels. I bought a Fantom29 frame recently from bikeisland.com for a good price & a set of WTB dual duty wheels from blueskycycling.com for $119 (item number 99202). I haven't completed the build yet, but the rims remind me of the sun rhino lites that I have used for a long time.I rode for years on those, and never had to re- true them! (they were 36 holes though). And I'm a 300 pound Clyde! But I don't ride on real rough terrain,and I don't do jumps.But the dual duty rims are pretty substantial.If you can't get them from bluesky,(call & ask if they have them in stock), bike 29.com has them.(cost a little more- $150 ) If you're not into building your own bikes, try to PM MPG & ask about the wheels, or ask in the Motobecane, Clydesdale, Wheelbuilding,or 29er forums about the wheels on the Fantom29. I can say the frame seems to be strong.(good welds & drop-outs). I hope it works out for you. Be sure to read MPG Motobecane blog.(go into the search) The moto seems to be a real good deal considering the price ( $595 ) ! I heard the fork is a little on the heavy side, though. But hey, you can't expect to get a high quality fork on a bike at that price. I am looking into a RST M29 from rstmtb.com. They list for $350 or so. Ihear they're on a par with the Rock Shox Reba that costs more.Rock Shox has spring kits for the Dart3 29er fork on the Fantom29. If you need a rigid fork, go over to soulcycles.com.Call them.(rigid 29er fork-$35.00--485mm axle to crown).PM me if you have questions.--zarr

knock-knock...
    Sounds good. I might just ride them till they are beyond truing (my method with my last HT ) I think ill have to find someone with a 29er around. Shouldnt be too hard here, but they really do sound like something that had more good than bad running for them. I really like the price on the fantom 29, it seems to be the best priced 29er out there for someone living on pennies and favors.

knock-knock...
    How exactly does sizing work for the 29ers? From Motobecans sizing charts, it looks like the 15 inch frame's standover height is 30.5 inches, and that is for the smallest frame size. are they just that much bigger. I do have a longer torso, but i am about 511 to 6 feet, it seems weird that I would be ordering the smallest frame size. thanks for your thoughts.

Currently Looking
    As I understand it the frames are the same size, or similiar, it is the increased wheel diameter, 29 vs 26 which makes them taller. You are gaining 1.5 inches in wheel radius which adds to the standover height.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    The way you determine the correct frame size for you is to take a measuring tape and measure from your crotch to the ground.(your inseam) Make sure you have the shoes that you plan to ride in on & your riding pants. Then subtract 2inches from that number. That is about as high as you want your top tube to be,so that when you are straddled over the bike, the top tube dosen't hit your crotch.(ouch!!) .That is called "standover height". When you look at the bikes' specifications, make sure the standover height matches that crotch measurement you took so you don't get a bike that's too tall or too short. You can try to email bikesdirect to make sure you get the right size. The "sizing tips" and the specifications help you to determine the right size,but try to contact bikesdirect just to make sure. If you are 5'11", my guess is you will need a 19 inch frame. ( I am 5'11" & ordered a 19 inch Fantom29 frame from bikeisland.com,but I haven't built the bike yet so I can't tell you anything for certain. I thik bikesdirect says you will probably need a 19 inch frame. Then the height of the tires figure into it a little bit. But ask around in the forums for other opinions too.(especially Moto becane to see who else has the bike. I believe it is a very good deal too. Just make sure you get the right size. Don't forget to read MPG motobecane blog.(use the forum search at the top of the page and put MPG motobecane blog in.

knock-knock...
    My inseam was like 31.5, so i think that puts me around a 17" or 15" frame. my legs are relatively short compared to my torso, so that messes with it a bit. Ill definitely email bikesdirect and get their input. My last bike was a scott reflex with a frame size large though, if that counts for anything. I read the blog and am pretty pumped. Im going to wait about another week first and try to recover my original bike. havent given up hope yet *shrug*
    Last edited by skottt160; 04-28-2008 at 09:30 PM.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    I saw the 2007 Iron Horse Warrior 3.0 at performancebike.com for $449.88. Try to ask in the 29er,Iron Horse, DJ, and maybe others as well (general discussion?) about the jumping aspects of a 29er hardtail. I never got into jumping bikes, so I can't help much there. If you decide to get the Iron Horse, try to go to a local Performance Bike shop. If they don't have one in stock,you can order it delivered to the bike shop and save the shipping costs. Make sure to find out about the "team Performance" offer they have. You get 10% of your total purchase back as a store credit to use on future purchases.Plus they let you lay the bike away if you can't pay right away. They have sales on bikes a lot too. I think your first tune up is free, and you get lifetime drivetrain check-ups.(your brake & derailleur cables are going to stretch after you ride for a while, and you will need adjustments). There was some discussion about the fork on that bike recently.(it's not real good) But you can't get a real good fork on a bike in that price range anyway.( the damping aspects of lower priced forks is limited) The Dart3 fork on the Fantom29 won't be too bad, though (entry level) I think the Fantom29 is a pretty good deal.If you get it, ask in the forums about how to adjust your cables and other tune-up jobs. Someone is always glad to help out. My guess is you will need a 17 inch or a 19 inch frame. Your "standover height should be measured right in front of the "nose" of your saddle,where you would "walk" your bike if you were standing over it. 29er bikes' top tube have to slant upward to accomodate for the bigger wheels,so by the middle of the top tube you will mesh with it. As long as you have clearance to walk with your bike, you will be OK.

knock-knock...
    Sweet, I think ill inquire about the jumping in other areas definitely. It seems the iron horse might be a little more suited to jumping and the like because its so much heavier, so more sturdy? Im pretty comfortable adjusting and maintaining my own bike, so that shouldnt be a problem. I live in vermont during the school year and in minnesota during the summers, so we dont really have performance bikes either of those places, which is too bad, but oh well. thanks for the input.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Try asking in the Urban/Park/DJ forum for an inexpensive Dirt Jump (DJ) bike. The Fantom29 is a good low priced bike, though.29ers are like road bikes (wheels are the same size), but mountain bike strong.Mountain Bikes with big wheels. I have to finish my builds (have two) and check this out. They are said to ride like you're in the bike instead of on top of it. Keep the Fantom29 in mind & learn more about 29ers.---zarr

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Try to ask over bin the 29er forum how do 29er hardtails perform as far as drops are concerned.