mtbr member
    Jun 2013

Improve HOPE ProEvo2 Rear Freewheeling drag

Hi,

Got a set of the Hope ProEvo2 Hubs. I find the rear hub has alot of freewheeling drag!

My LBS mechanic removed two pcs of pawls. But it doesnt seems to reduce the drag much!

1. Has anyone removed the Pawls? It worries me! Reducing the pawls reduce the engagement points. Will it damage the hub?

2. Has anyone polish the pawls contact area that clicks to the racheting surface of the hub? Will this reduce some drag?

Cheers!

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Xross View Post
    Hi,

Got a set of the Hope ProEvo2 Hubs. I find the rear hub has alot of freewheeling drag!

My LBS mechanic removed two pcs of pawls. But it doesnt seems to reduce the drag much!

1. Has anyone removed the Pawls? It worries me! Reducing the pawls reduce the engagement points. Will it damage the hub?

2. Has anyone polish the pawls contact area that clicks to the racheting surface of the hub? Will this reduce some drag?

Cheers!
    I doubt the pawls were the cause of the drag, unless someone tried to lube them up with a thick grease. I certainly wouldn't be taking pawls out. It's been a while since I had one of my hope hubs open, but from memory the pawls all engage together, so you're doubling the force on the remaining ones. Polishing the pawls or engagement area won't make anything better, and could easily make things worse.

The most likely source of drag on new hubs is an incorrectly seated seal. Another possibility is a dud bearing, or one which isn't properly placed. Hope have some very good videos describing how to pull their hubs apart - you could try doing that while checking at each stage to see how things are spinning.

The most fundamental thing to check though is whether the drag is something you're experiencing while riding, or if it is just an impression you've gotten from spinning the wheel by hand. A hub with knackered bearings can spin really well without a load on it, but will be crap when riding. The proper test is freewheeling while riding.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Thanks man! Thats what I though too removing the pawls add extra load on the other remaining two! Bearings seems to be fine. Maybe it need to be run in..There very little grease just enough to lub the pawls. Hope hubs are draggy when freewheeling comparing to my other taiwanese hub 12 Oclock. Its seems to be spin very much longer on a service stand.Where else th Hope just click click then stop!

My LBS insist removing the pawls has been widely done. he also removed many for other customers aswell. He insisted that its done through out the mtb world. I mean for Hope hubs ProEvo2 which I dont really agree.

Anyway I m going to put the back. Feel safer with 4 pawls engagement that 2. Wait for a while to see if the other guys who removed the pawls has any problems.

Thanks.

MTB B'dos
    Find yourself another shop, whom ever there is telling that this is a common procedure is a CVNT, full stop. DO NOT run the hub without all the pawls, you will more than likely end up doing damage and not gain any less drag. The problem with the Hope hubs is the seals that cause any drag, especially improperly seated ones AND testing on the work stand doesn't say/do sh1t, put the wheels on the bike and start at the top of a hill and see how fats you can go, now with same tyres on your chinese wheels do the same and see if you get any faster or roll any further along once you hit the flat - I'm gona be guessing you don't go much if any faster on the cheaper "less drag" hubs.
    One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??
    MTB Barbados
    My Phantom pics

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    LyNx,

Thanks! My bike its back home now. Not taking it for a ride. Will place them back the pawls tonight. He said he found removing the awls from the internet wonder which I site never came across any site saying that..

undercover brother
    Yea, removing the paws will not reduce drag, and I would never go to that shop again if thats what they deemed as a possible solution. My hopes came with an excessive amount of grease. Pull the rear hub apart and remove all the grease and clean well ( Hopes are the easiest hubs to maintenance). Only use a small amount of grease on the end of the paws and around the bearings. Mine roll foreveerrrrr. They may also be a little louder for you with less grease. I also noticed that they roll better after a couple rides as everything broke in.

undercover brother
    Also, make sure that the plastic seal behind the freehub body is installed correctly. If not, it will create a lot of drag!

Bicyclochondriac.
    Jan 2004
    Removing the pawls was completely asinine.

A common cause of excess drag on the Hope rear hubs is the seal behind the cassette carrier not being properly seated.
    15mm is a second-best solution to a problem that was already solved.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011

Re: Improve HOPE ProEvo2 Rear Freewheeling drag

What the two above me said.

I was recently regreasing my hub and didnt get the seal back in properly. It was causing drag and my cranks would turn whenever I pushed the bike forward.

Trail Prospector
    ^ This exactly.
    Good mechanics must be fairly compensated, or you get only ham-fisted hacks like the one you spoke to.
    And the LBS owner wonders why on earth their customers keep disappearing.
    The best is the one you want to ride most often..