Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

I'm new, a few questions

443 views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  borregokid 
#1 ·
Hello everyone, i am new to this style of riding, but not new to riding. I used to spend a substantial amount of time on a bike until football took over my life, but now college is beginning and football is done with, time to get back on the bike! Currently, im rocking the walmart special (its a roadmaster something) its a FS bike that isnt bad for 80 bucks i paid for it. I am 6' 2'' and currently 250 lbs. (which will be dropping soon, hopefully getting back on the bike will be helpful)

So, heres my question, i am really liking the gary fisher bikes, and i saw the mako and was wondering how that bike is as far as MTBs go, it will be used for light to medium trails, campus riding and a fair amount of street riding. i would like a FS bike. and id also like to keep it 350 or under. Also, are reebok mtbs any good? i saw a pretty solid looking one at dicks today for around 350 that had some nice components and disk brakes, but cant seem to find any information on them.

any help is helpful, thanks.....go easy on me, im new. lol

#2 ·
The Target Forge hardtail at around $350 is probably the best bargain inexpensive bike. At that price range you need to be looking for a used bike and with your height hopefully a 21 inch frame. For campus and street riding I think a hardtail would be better than a FS bike. Heres an example of a decent bike that has 27 speeds, disc brakes and is in pretty decent shape plus it has a 21 inch frame. It can probably be had for a little less but this is what you need to be looking for.

http://richmond.craigslist.org/bik/1258728941.html

#4 ·
thank you for the responses, that cannondale looks nice! I knew it would be difficult to find a bike that would suit my needs with height and has the things i want to come with it. Now the only thing is money. Im going to have to look into that cannondale...

lol - RU13 = (Radford University Class of 2013

#5 ·
If you can bring the budget up a little bit you really find some decent stuff under $500. The Target Forge is unfortunately only available in a 19 inch bike. That would be a compromise. REI had the Ponderosa that has 27 speeds and disc brakes for $469. Performance Bike has the Mongoose Amasa Comp with 27 speeds, hydraulic disc brakes and a fork for bigger guys for about $500. If you decide to go used there is probably not a lot out there on your local craigslist and it would be tough finding a 20-21 inch bike with 24-27 speeds that is in your price range and is relatively new and free of problems. . The two bikes above plus the one in Richmond give you an idea of pretty decent bikes. I wouldnt be tossing money onto a 21 speed bike with maybe a heavy steel frame.

http://www.performancebike.com/bikes/Product_10052_10551_1061252_-1_400308_400001_400329

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.