mtbr member
    Apr 2011

If you had $3000 to spend on a 29er...

What would you get?

I've been riding for a many years but, Im not much of a "gear-head" so I'm in the dark about changes/new bikes in the mtb world. All I know is that I want a 29er.

I mostly ride trails/singeltrack in VT and I don't know if it is worth buying a FS over a hardtail.

Anyway, I'm just looking for some bike recs. You guys know your bikes alot better than I ever will so let me know what YOU would get!

-bennett

mtbr member
    I would buy an Epic Comp 29er. Tried the 2011 model the other day. It had that "just right" feel to it.

Of course, next week my mind could change.

Former Bike Wrench
    A few models to look at:
    -The above mentioned Specialized Epic Comp
    -Giant Anthem X 29er 2
    -Niner Jet 9 X.7

mtbr member
    I think the best bang for the buck right now might be a Scott Scale 29er.

mtbr member
    I feel like I'm in kind of a similar position as you are - although I've started researching for the last month or so. There are a lot of factors to consider as everyone has slightly different needs, wants and desires when it comes to specs, brand, weight, suspension travel (or hard tail), etc. I would recommend thinking about what your wants and needs might be for this purchase and that might help to lead you in a certain direction as far as potential 29er bikes to consider.

For what it's worth I'm considering the Giant AnthemX 29er1 and a good friend is considering the Gary Fisher Rumblefish (also a 29er F/S). Good luck and enjoy the process. There seems to be quite a bit to learn!
    Life is like riding a bicycle - in order to keep your balance, you must keep moving. ~Albert Einstein

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    I think Im going to have to make a trip to the bike shop tomorrow and check out the:

Specialized Epic comp 29er
    Specialized Camber pro 29er
    Specialized Stumpjumper FSR comp 29er

Any thoughts on these guys?

Mudder
    Probably a niner jet 9 with x.9 2x10, i don't know if that is under 3000 but probably close? but it would be a superb ride.
    Haikus are easy
    But sometimes they don't Make sense
    Refrigerator

Former Bike Wrench
    Quote Originally Posted by bennett2136
    I think Im going to have to make a trip to the bike shop tomorrow and check out the:

Depends on what your after. I own a 2011 Stumpy Comp 29er which is a fantastic bike...but is very much a All Mountain bike. 29" wheels and 5" of travel is a lot of bike if your just after a XC rig. On the other end, the Epic Comp 29er is very much about XC efficiency. Ride efficiency is favored over plush. The Camber Pro 29er fits right inbetween the two, a nice all around trail bike.

Afric Pepperbird
    If I had $3000 to spend on a 29er, I'd spend it on a 26er. But that's just me.

Former Bike Wrench
    Quote Originally Posted by dirt farmer
    If I had $3000 to spend on a 29er, I'd spend it on a 26er. But that's just me.
    If I had $3000 to spend on a 26er, I'd smack myself then go buy a 29er

banned
    I have a $3000 26er and ride a 29er.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bennett2136

I like the stumpjumper. More travel, and I think you will see it is lighter than the camber even though it has more travel. The Camber I think has a heavier M4 frame vs the stumpy M5 frame. (Or that could be a bunch of crap from the bike shop guy I talked to).
    Epic has the brain shock, which is not my cup of tea.

As others have mentioned, the Anthem is pretty sweet.

Apr 2007
    I personally love hardtails (sold my FS's), so I'll say get something like a Giant XTC1, Scott Scale, Stumpjumper, Trek Paragon, Salsa El Mariachi (my current bike), Orbea Alma. Plenty of rocks and bumpy things where I ride and the big volume 29er tires with low pressure is a winner.

Then spend the rest of the money saved for accessories and races.