mtbr member
    Jun 2009

If I sand off the original paint will it weaken the frame?

I decided to sand off the original paint. If I do this to just leave the bare metal look, will it weaken the frame?

banned
    Aug 2012
    If you use a belt sander

I'd tear it apart and use paint stripper.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Yep, take all your components off and use paint stripper on the frame. Can be bought at any home improvement store. Paint it on, wait 15 minutes, then wipe it off along with all your old paint. Use a toothbrush or similair item to get paint out of the spots that are harder to reach.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Short answer is No.

If it's a steel frame, I'd suggest not leaving it bare. Even if it's AL, I'd probably still clear coat it to keep it looking nice and easier to clean.

Personally, I'd find a local body shop that has a soda blaster and have them soda blast it, then clear coat it. I'm willing to bet you could get the it all done pretty cheaply, and then you don't have to deal with the nasty paint stripper and residue. If you do decide to strip it yourself, be aware paint strippers are typically very nasty chemical concontions...be sure to use proper gloves and eye protection.

-RW

mtbr member
    I've read about people who tried to strip paint off an AL Cannondale and they said it was a pain in the rear and not as easy as you'd think.