Thread: Identify Bike

mtbr member
    Jun 2013

Identify Bike

Hi Guys,

I'm new to the forum, long time reader tho, I'm trying to identify an 1990's diamondback model and get the specs on this bike. It was bought around 1996-1998 in the UK, its decals claim its a Diamondback arrival but I'm not totally convinced about that. It was my brothers bike and the decals are original, I'm thinking about replacing some of the parts and bringing it back to life as my daily commuter, the frame itself is very light but the components are entry level. Any help with this would be great. Do you guys think its worth getting back on the road, its in great condition and just needs some better components.

cheers,

ShaunIdentify Bike-img_1069-small-.jpgIdentify Bike-img_1072-small-.jpgIdentify Bike-img_1076-small-.jpgIdentify Bike-img_1078-small-.jpg

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    There's several differences from what info I can find between yours and the Arrival- Tube sizes, HT joinery-cable routing, seat stay joint...Someone will know what it is.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Radamus View Post
    There's several differences from what info I can find between yours and the Arrival- Tube sizes, HT joinery-cable routing, seat stay joint...Someone will know what it is.
    any idea what year this one is? or if i can get the specs somewhere?

local trails rider
    If it is in good shape, sure: it is worth fixing - - - if you don't need to replace anything very expensive.

You want to replace parts. Which ones? What is wrong with the current ones?

You don't have to put exactly the same parts on it, that it has now. Depending on what you want to replace, you may need to measure some things, count cogs, or something.

"it IS possible that you are faster or slower than anybody else who is having at least as much if not more or less fun"

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    brakes are still fine, rear and front rims are a bit warped so they will need changed, it currently has acera components which i'm thinking of upgrading to deore

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by finny7 View Post
    any idea what year this one is? or if i can get the specs somewhere?
    I looked around Bikepedia but never found anything on it. But, from the looks of other models of the vintage you think it is, it would have been a road/sport-crossover type bike. Given that, I'd say it's got some years on it. Today, and for a while, makers have specialized directly aimed at specific market segments.

local trails rider
    Sooo, it seems that you have a bike with nothing too serious wrong with it, a bike that will be great for tooling around town and on paths. And a bike that you should not throw much money at.

If the rims are not badly warped, they can be trued. There's instructiuons for it. Just google something like "truing bicycle wheels". Alternatively, you can have a bike shop do it, which costs a little money but less than new wheels.

Even the "lowly" Acera gears work just fine if they are in OK shape and well adjusted. Shimano's website has installation instructions that include adjustment. All the models work about the same, so don't worry if you don't find exactly your model.

... Then give it a pink camo paint job from rattle cans if you like some more color.

"it IS possible that you are faster or slower than anybody else who is having at least as much if not more or less fun"

mtbr member
    Post this is the Vintage Retro Classic forum, there sure to help out
    1985 Ritchey Timber Comp
    1985 Ritchey Ascent
    1987 Ritchey Timberwolf