mtbr member
    Jun 2011

ibis mojo hd, pivot mach 5.7, or cannondale jekyll?

i'm planning on purchasing a new bike in a month or so. i've read so many reviews and opinions on so many bikes, it's almost confusing. i think i'm down to three choices right now.

ibis mojo hd, pivot mach 5.7, and cannondale jekyll.

obviously, i'm looking for an AM and i know i can't really go wrong with any of these. but, when i drop 4k, i'd hate to leave the shop with a bit of regret. i love the dw-link on both mojo and mach; the new jekyll seem like it's an amazing machine. any input or advice would help. thanks in advance!

AKA Mr.Habanero
    I'm having to make the same sort of decisions you are. I'm looking at the Mojo HD and the Carbon Jekyll 2. Both the same price. The Mojo is a proven winner but all, though few, reviews of the Jekyll show its pretty baddass. Hell, Mark Weir rides one now. I know I'm not much help so hopefully more people contribute to this thread.

mtbr member
    after coming off a pull shock bike (scott genius) it's very..... squishy. that's why they put the travel selection, rode an HD demo an the DW link is far above I think. Also, the Mojo just seems to me to be in a different class. The only other bikes I was considering were, the yeti sb66 or spec. stumpjumper EVO, but... I can get a mojo for the same price as an evo an... it's a no brainer for me. The yeti for me may be an awesome bike, but hate buying first gen of anything an the HD is a proven awesome rig.
    determined to put the "mountain" back in "MOUNTAIN BIKING!!!" "HIT IT!"
    2012 MOJO HDeeeeeeee!!!!
    2010 scott CR1 comp

T.W.O.
    Mojo HD. I got it a few months ago I test rode my friend's and demo many bikes have good amount of miles in each frame I considered, in the end I went with HD.

Disclaimer: I already owned 2 mojo prior before the HD.

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Was asking myself this same question earlier this year, add in Spesh & Turner, and after testing riding the Mach 5.7 I was sold. It's as light as any carbon fiber out there (it's XC little brother the Mach 4 can be built under 22lbs).

Long story short, after a lot of research and some test rides I ended up building myself a 5.7. Having 3 weeks with it under my belt, I can say it's the most capable bike I've ever been on. Plush, rigid and the thing pedals and climbs better than any bike i've been on (last bike was an Epic w/ brain fade).

You're going to be happy no matter how you swing it. Get in the saddle of each, but for my money I could not be happier with my 5.7.
    Last edited by k1rider; 06-27-2011 at 11:06 AM.

mtbr member
    Get the Cannondale.

Professional Slacker
    Jun 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by k1rider View Post
    Was asking myself this same question earlier this year, add in Spesh & Turner, and after testing riding the Mach 5.7 I was sold. It's as light as any carbon fiber out there (the Mach 4 can be built under 22lbs.

Long story short, after a lot of research and some test rides I ended up building myself a 5.7. Having 3 weeks with it under my belt, I can say it's the most capable bike I've ever been on. Plush, rigid and the thing pedals and climbs better than any bike i've been on (last bike was an Epic w/ brain fade).

You're going to be happy no matter how you swing it. Get in the saddle of each, but for my money I could not be happier with my 5.7.
    Another recent 5.7 owner over here, it's just an amazing bike. It's more of a light-AM bike, IMO...but different people have different ideas on what is or is not "all-mountain" riding. Climbs like a mountain goat and handles rough technical downhills like it's nothing...firm when it needs to be and plush when you want it to be. Probably true for any DW-link bike though.

Whether Mojo HD or 5.7 kind of depends on what kind of geometry you want. The Pivot has a longer top tube, shorter seat stays and lower bottom bracket...along with 15mm less travel in the back and 10mm less in the front.

I imagine they're both great bikes, one deciding factor for me was the rocks where I ride and the Mojo's carbon construction. Chain and seat stays can sometimes take a beating in crashes.

T.W.O.
    Quote Originally Posted by smilinsteve View Post
    Get the Cannondale.
    Yeah I know that's a tough choice. Jekyll is awesome too. I'm actually interested in the big brother Claymore it's just a bit heavier but 7" travel, I've never been on one but I'd imagine it would ride like Jekyll

mtbr member
    I can't speak to the Cannondale, but having ridden the HD and 5.7 I wouldn't put those bikes in the same class. Personally I found the 5.7 to ride more like a long legged XC bike. Didn't have the stability through rough spots or inspire confidence on downs the way the HD does. The 5.7 did however climb like a goat.

This was just my experience. Maybe I need to give the 5.7 another shot and try the suspension in different settings. It was sagged by the guys from Pivot at the demo truck FWIW. I was very surprised at the way it felt compared to other bikes I would put in its class (Yeti 575, SJ Evo, HD, etc).

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    i sure do love the ibis.

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Again, you can't go wrong, but hot off the press the Pivot Mach 5.7 just got named Mountain Bike Magazine's 2011 Best Trail Bike - I can't post the link (no enough posts yet), but go to bicycling dot com it's their lead story.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by richde View Post
    The Pivot has a longer top tube, shorter seat stays and lower bottom bracket
    Can anyone explain how this effects ride characteristics--I understand the longer TT, but how does the shorter seatstay and lower BB change the ride.

Thanks

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Unbrokenchain View Post
    Can anyone explain how this effects ride characteristics--I understand the longer TT, but how does the shorter seatstay and lower BB change the ride.

Thanks
    I don't know that seatstay length effects anything, but he probably meant shorter chainstays. Shorter chainstays bring the rear wheel contact patch closer to your center of gravity, so more weight is on the rear. That helps climbing traction. It also shortens wheelbase, for quicker handling. A lower bottom bracket lowers the center of gravity, but increases the chance of pedal strike.

T.W.O.
    Quote Originally Posted by smilinsteve View Post
    I don't know that seatstay length effects anything, but he probably meant shorter chainstays. Shorter chainstays bring the rear wheel contact patch closer to your center of gravity, so more weight is on the rear. That helps climbing traction. It also shortens wheelbase, for quicker handling. A lower bottom bracket lowers the center of gravity, but increases the chance of pedal strike.
    +1 Shorter chainstay makes the bike deliciously easy to loft the front wheel manuals and hops are easier to do. Longer tt give you more cockpit space to move around and lower bb make you corner like it's on rail, at a small price of clearance.

They are like ingredients, it takes a great chef to put them together to create a great dish, add slack head angle, a little secret sauce and voila' a DW link signature ride

As the matter of fact I'm enjoying the dish right now on a group ride, Happy 4th

Sent from my iPhone4

mtbr member
    get HD, i will

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    I think no other bike out there now beats the versatility of the new jekyll

mtbr member
    HA! it's just a copy of a scott genius..... adjustable travel bikes sound great at first, but give me DW any day
    determined to put the "mountain" back in "MOUNTAIN BIKING!!!" "HIT IT!"
    2012 MOJO HDeeeeeeee!!!!
    2010 scott CR1 comp

Wrench
    Better question: Will either bike truly have a significant effect on your ability as a rider?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by FNFAL View Post
    Better question: Will either bike truly have a significant effect on your ability as a rider?

What??? What the hell does that have to do with anything?!

T.W.O.
    Quote Originally Posted by FNFAL View Post
    Of course it does. Geometry, travel, bike that fit your style of riding. They add to your ability to ride the bike well. If you are more confidence on one bike than the other go with that one, it's the one that would help you push the ability and bail you out when you are in the jam,

mtbr member
    Highly biased as I'm a Pivot owner. But DW Link bikes do live up to the hype.
    If you slightly more aggressive XC oriented get the Pivot, if you are more of a AM rider who lives for descents and a bit of air get the Mojo. IMHO the Cannondale is old tech with a fancy proprietary shock.

My last bike was a Specialized Stumpjumper FSR, which left me with a sour taste for proprietary non-standard parts. The stupid Triad shock was a 1.75x7.25, how hard would it have been to have rocker link that worked with a standard 2.0x7.5?

The only thing I didn't like about my Pivot was the 2011RP23 BV HV shock. It wallowed in G outs, had impossible to tune rebound damping that liked to toss me out of the saddle, and felt hard on bumps more than an inch or two tall. Switched to a RS Monarch Plus and the difference is night and day. The Monarch feels so much better, than the RP23 ever did.