mtbr member

New question here. IBEX Zone FR-1 TC worth getting?

Alright well I personally ride a Yeti ASX, but a buddy of mine is intrested in getting info FR/DH. I stumbled upon the IBEX website and saw they were blowing out the 2005 bikes. My buddy don't want to spend alot of money, but he doesn't want something that sucks either. The specs on the IBEX Zone are pretty good, and for the $1200 blow out price seems like a great deal.

Also he is not looking much at used bikes, he wants that "New bike smell". Also with a used FR bike you don't know how much abuse it has taken.

I don't want him to make a mistake, any good reason NOT to get this bike?

Here is the link to the bike: http://www.ibexbikes.com/Bikes/ZON-FR-1-Details.html

Thanks
    Last edited by oldskoolbiker; 02-23-2006 at 09:20 PM. Reason: Forgot Link

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by couloir99
    I've been looking at the same bike. It has a pretty solid component build up for the price and the warranty seems pretty solid. The only thing that doesn't look that great is the rear shock, but I guess it's not that bad.
    A friend of mine just suggested that since this frame is only a single pivot, it will brake jack pretty bad and will not be very smooth. He suggested a blowout 2005 Giant Faith 3 at Performance bike for $1300. He said the Faith 3 had a much better frame, although the specs were not quite as nice.

I wonder if the IBEX frame is really that bad. I saw a good review of the bike over in the IBEX forum.

Also there is a 2004 Cannondale Gemini 900 over at REI they are asking $1549 for, but I was thinking of calling the manager and offering like $1200 for it. The regular bike salesman said that was the last 2004 they had in stock and the manager may be flexible with the price if I called and talked directly to him.

ride hard take risks
    That bike will work perfect for someone wanting to get into agressive riding. The brake jack is no big deal, there is much more to pay attention to when bombing a hill than brake jack. There are so many bikes out there that have that feature built in & most dont have a clue. I ride a Versus Blitz that suposidly gets brake jack but i dont think i ever payed attention to it. The Zone is alot like the SC Bullet, SC Super 8, 67. Canondale, Orange all single pivot bikes. As you noticed getting a bike of equal components is almost impossible. A budy of mine rides my old 1999 SC Super 8 & he rips it hard.

Freshly Fujified

Ibex makes nice bikes

The spec on the bike is very good, and I know first hand that they make a solid product. The Giant Reign 3 reccommendation is also very good if you can find a deal on one. The $1300 Performance price sounds great, but again, the specs won't match up to the Ibex. You're basically paying for Giant's expertise in framebuilding and the maestro suspension design. A lot can be said for that though.

While I can reccommend the Ibex, I will also say this. If you are as image conscious as I perceive a lot of the people who post on mtbr.com's Freeride/DH forums to be, this isn't the bike for you. It's a rough crowd and if you don't ride the known bikes, you ain't part of the crowd.

My reccommendation: Buy the Ibex and thumb your nose at the image conscious crowd.

Bob
    'If Wal-Mart sold parachutes, who would jump?' Frank Havnoonian (quoting his father) Drexel Hill Cyclery

mtbr member
    Alright I just called REI and the bike manager will be there after 1:00 PM today. I'm going to take my buddy over there and let him look at the 2004 Cannondale Gemini 900. I'm going to talk to the bike manager and try to convince him to sell it for $1200. If this doesn't work, he'll probably go for the IBEX. I showed him the Giant Faith and he thinks it is very ugly. Actually I do too.

ride hard take risks
    Quote Originally Posted by Call_me_Clyde
    While I can reccommend the Ibex, I will also say this. If you are as image conscious as I perceive a lot of the people who post on mtbr.com's Freeride/DH forums to be, this isn't the bike for you. It's a rough crowd and if you don't ride the known bikes, you ain't part of the crowd.

My reccommendation: Buy the Ibex and thumb your nose at the image conscious crowd.

Bob
    Grrrr RuffRuff

Freshly Fujified

hehheheh

Quote Originally Posted by dogonfr
    Grrrr RuffRuff
    You know there's truth in that statement. I mentioned NO names
    'If Wal-Mart sold parachutes, who would jump?' Frank Havnoonian (quoting his father) Drexel Hill Cyclery

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Call_me_Clyde
    The spec on the bike is very good, and I know first hand that they make a solid product. The Giant Reign 3 reccommendation is also very good if you can find a deal on one. The $1300 Performance price sounds great, but again, the specs won't match up to the Ibex. You're basically paying for Giant's expertise in framebuilding and the maestro suspension design. A lot can be said for that though.

Bob
    You should be the Ibex Spokesman... if I lived in the US I would've probably bought the Ibex too, but since I;m a Canuck, wit hthe exchange rate and duties at the border etc I would've ended up paying almost the same as what I paid for my Switch.

Freshly Fujified

Ibex and Leader

Quote Originally Posted by wickerman1
    You should be the Ibex Spokesman... if I lived in the US I would've probably bought the Ibex too, but since I;m a Canuck, wit hthe exchange rate and duties at the border etc I would've ended up paying almost the same as what I paid for my Switch.
    I'm a 2 trick pony. It gets old, I know When you find a good thing though....

Bob

Freshly Fujified

REI Gemini outcome??

Quote Originally Posted by oldskoolbiker
    Alright I just called REI and the bike manager will be there after 1:00 PM today. I'm going to take my buddy over there and let him look at the 2004 Cannondale Gemini 900. I'm going to talk to the bike manager and try to convince him to sell it for $1200. If this doesn't work, he'll probably go for the IBEX. I showed him the Giant Faith and he thinks it is very ugly. Actually I do too.
    How did it go with the manager? Did you get the price you wanted on the Gemini?

Bob