mtbr member
    Feb 2007

Ibex vs. Kinley vs. used Stumpjumper HT

Hello all:

I am a vintage rider just getting back on the bike after a 7 year hiatus. My budget is between $800-900. My main ride is a commute too and from work (90% trails) about 15 miles each way. For this use, my road racer heritage, and my limited budget, I am looking at hardtails. I had focused my search on a used Stumpjumper HT from Ebay or the classifieds here. However, I recently saw these two bikes:

1. 2005 Kinley RX Comp, $899 (Sorry, I tried like heck to paste the text here)

http://www.kinleybikes.com/kinelyrxcopend.asp?img=blue

2. Ibex Trophy Comp $799
    Frame: Double-Butted 6061 Aluminum
    Fork: Manitou Sliver Super Lockout
    w/ New Air* - 80mm
    Shifters: Shimano LX Rapidfire-Plus
    Front Derailleur: Shimano LX
    Rear Derailleur: Shimano XT
    Crankset: TruVativ Firex 3.1
    Cassette: Shimano HG-50 9-spd (11-32T)
    Chain: KMC Z9200
    Brakes: Avid Juicy-3 Hydraulic Discs
    Levers: Avid Juicy-3
    Rims: Sun DS2-XC Double-Wall Alloy
    Hubs: Shimano M525
    Tires: Maxxis Ignitor - 26" x 2.10
    Headset: Cane Creek S-3
    Cockpit Set: Ritchey Alloy
    Saddle: WTB Laser V Comp
    Pedals: Shimano M520 Clipless

3. Used Stumpjumper HT from Ebay (these tend to run between $600-$750), they have Fox Float shocks, XT/LX drivetrains and Avid V brakes. The frames are hydroformed which looks pretty cool but does it really matter that much?

What do you guys think? The frames seem comparable but am I missing something? I am particularly interested in opinions on the forks (Manitou Sliver vs. Manitou Axel comp vs. Fox Float) and wheelsets. The Kinley seems to have a better drivetrain but the Ibex has Juicy 3s (I'm still a little sceptical about discs at all).

So..... Fire away with some opinions. I hadn't even given online bikes a second thought until I saw how nicely spec'd these bikes looked........

Thanks, Steve.

Freshly Fujified

Welcome to the forums

Hey, Steve. Thanks for posting your question. You're looking at three very nice bikes. I would first say that the skepticism regarding the disc brakes, while understandable, is somthing that you should educate yourself on. There are some excellent offerings out there including the Juicy's. Nothing wrong with V's and if you're a lightweight rider that doesn't get into sloppy conditions, they should do well. As for the fork choices, the Fox on the Stumpy will probably have the most sophisticated damping system and be the most plush. Second would be the Sliver, and last, the Axel. Keep in mind the Axel's stanchions are only 28.6mm and might be a bit flexy, especially if you approach the 200 lb mark. I don't know much about the Kinley frame, but I personally own 2 Ibex bikes and can say with a great deal of certainty that they build an excellent frame. Yes, the Stumpy's hydroformed tubing is probably a better way to gusset and strengthen the bike. It's also more aesthetically pleasing. If you can get a used Stumpy in DECENT SHAPE for $600, grab it. If not, my second choice would be the Trophy Comp.

I hope this helps.

Bob
    'If Wal-Mart sold parachutes, who would jump?' Frank Havnoonian (quoting his father) Drexel Hill Cyclery

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Bob:

Thanks for such a thoughtful and useful reply. I'm a researcher before I leap and this is great intel. My discovery of these high-quality online bikes was a real eye-opener for me (but of course created more issues to sort out). I appreciate the time you took to respond and will put your thoughts in the hopper.

Thanks again, Steve.