Explosive

Ibex Trophy Comp or Kinley RX Disc

I'm very close to buying now, I have looked at alot of bikes and it looks like online is going to be my best bet. None of the LBS's around here have anthing more then $500 for a MTB. So I would not be able to test ride one before I bought it anyway. I will also be getting the largest frame I can being that I am 6'4" and 255lbs. I had pretty much decided on the Ibex Trophy Comp, but (as shallow as it may sound) I really dont like the paint job. I saw the banner at the top of the page here for Kinley bikes. They seem to be really nice bikes. And I love the look they have. Keep in mind that this is the first real bike that I will purchase, I do most of my shopping online as it is, and I am very mecanically minded.

Both bikes I am looking at are hardtails. The Kinley is $100 less but does not seem to have as consistent of componants as the Ibex, however the derailers are the XT instead of the LX. I want better peddals then both bikes have, and the extra $100 saved could go to that.

Also, what is the difference between tripple butted and double butted.

Here is the Kinley

Here is the Ibex

Stats on Ibex:

Frame: Double-Butted 6061 Aluminum
    Fork: Marzocchi EXR Race (EXR Pro on 20")*
    Shifters: Shimano LX Rapidfire
    Front Derailleur: Shimano LX
    Rear Derailleur: Shimano LX
    Crankset: Shimano LX
    Cassette: Shimano LX
    Chain: KMC Z9200
    Brakes: Avid BB-7 Discs
    Levers: Cane Creek Direct Curve
    Rims: Sun Rhyno Lite Rims
    Hubs: Shimano XT
    Tires: IRC Mythos - 26" x 2.10
    Cockpit Set: Ritchey Comp/SC Alloy
    Saddle: WTB Laser V
    Pedals: Shimano M520 Clipless

Stats on Kinley:
    Attached Images Attached Images

Freshly Fujified

Get the Ibex

I bex has:

Better fork (IMO)

Better shifters and front derailleurs

XT r/d on Kinley is better than LX, but not so much to make a difference.

BB7 brakes are A-1 class mechanicals. While the Hayes are hydraulic, they are made for the OEM market, and will perform like low end hydraulics, IMO.

I like the LX cranks on the Ibex, and I'm suspect as to why Kinley doesn't tell you wnat model Truvativ cranks the bike has. My guess is the they are probably the 5-D. In this case, LX wins hands down IMO

Ibex gives you Shimano clipless pedals.

The rest of the comparisons are negligable.

Buy the Trophy Comp SE before they sell out.

Bob
    'If Wal-Mart sold parachutes, who would jump?' Frank Havnoonian (quoting his father) Drexel Hill Cyclery

mtbr member
    The Kinley seems like a decent bike but i would take the Ibex pretty much for the same reasons Clyde mentioned. The cranks, brakes, fork, and pedals on the Ibex are definately worth the extra $100. I also dont like the barends on the kinley but thats no big deal. Ibex also has some pretty awesome customer service, if your buying sight unseen then customer service matters. The Kinley isn't a bad bike though, it still probably has better components than similar priced bikes you would find at a bike shop.

Explosive
    On the fork, I got the idea that the Marzocchi was a better fork, but I like the lockout on the rock shox as I will ride 80% around town. I know I can pump the Marzochi's way up but with the Rock's I can just unlock it and dont have to let the pressure down. (am I right on my thinking here?)

Is the LX front deralilleurs that much better then the XT, as I thought it was, at least suppose to be, the other way around?

So as I see it, the real advantage of the Ibex is
    1. pedals (which I could buy for less then $40.)
    2. possibly the crank, I will call them later to find out which exact model it is. Even if it is the 5-D Jake at IBEX they are fine as long as extra attention is paid to them.

3.And what catches me as the most important: the brakes. On the brakes, how much more stopping power are the BB-7's going to have, or is it more of a question of reliability? I like the idea of Mechanical over Hydro. As I would assume that it would be easier to adjust and work on.

I know some of you are diehard IBEX guys, and I dont want to step on any toes, but I kind of like the idea of owning a new companies bike (as long as it is worth it) and I like the look of the Kinley. But being new to all of this it is like sometimes.

I do really appreciate the help and ideas.

Explosive
    Well I just got off the phone with the owner of Kinley and he said that I would be pushing it to go with a tripple butted. Apprently that is a thinner Alluminum and at 260lbs he said I would be better to go with a double butted. At least he was honest enough to give me his oppinion, and I always trust the opinion when it is NOT to buy their own stuff.

mtbr member
    The Kinley has front and rear XT derailleurs where the Ibex has LX derailleurs. XT stuff is slightly better than LX. The performance of both will be about the same the only difference is the XT is slightly lighter in weight than the LX derailleurs. The Ibex has LX shifter pods that are slightly better than the Deore ones on the Kinley. I'd say in the shifter/derailleur category the two bikes are even.

Call Kinley and find out what cranks are on RX Disc. The Kinley cranks look like Truvativ Blaze's, if thats the case then the Ibex has a way better crankset.

As far as brakes go mechanicals are usually easier to work on. The Avid bb-7's on the Ibex are probably one of the best brake systems on the market. The bb-7's are going to be more reliable, easier to set up, and probably more powerful than the base model hayes hydros.

mtbr member
    Another thing i just realized is that the Kinley has a 5 year frame warranty and a 7 day money back satisfaction guarantee. The Ibex has a lifetime warranty and 30 day money back guarantee. If your 260 lbs then the warranty is important.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    If you are 6'4", you may not want to get the IBEX at 20" size (which I believe is the biggest available). That top tube will be too short, and compensating with a longer stem will ruin the handling in my opinion. I am 6'3" rode last several years on a hardtail with a top tube that was too short for me and a stem that was too long. Switching to a new bike with just a slightly longer top tube and slightly shorter stem seemed to make a huge difference in handling and confidence in technial sections for me. I understand the difficulty in finding a bike you your size to test ride anyway, but I would definitly think that you want at least a 24.5" - 25" top tube length at a minimum.

mtbr member
    6'4" 255 you might be cramped on the Ibex, give Ibex a call or email the to see what they think. Another bike you should consider is the Ironhorse Warrior Expert. http://www.rscycle.com/s.nl/it.A/id....=7&category=56 It's pretty similar to the Ibex and Kinley but is available in a 21.5" frame and costs less than both the other bikes you were looking at. I think performance.com also has Ironhorse bikes.

Explosive
    Quote Originally Posted by InvictaS1
    6'4" 255 you might be cramped on the Ibex, give Ibex a call or email the to see what they think. Another bike you should consider is the Ironhorse Warrior Expert. http://www.rscycle.com/s.nl/it.A/id....=7&category=56 It's pretty similar to the Ibex and Kinley but is available in a 21.5" frame and costs less than both the other bikes you were looking at. I think performance.com also has Ironhorse bikes.
    Yea, I dont want to spend $1000 on the bike, and I cant find a frame that is 24" at that hight.

I have looked at that Iron Horse, but the fork seems pretty bad. I will call them and Ibex latter today.

Now for some more . . .

Freshly Fujified

My bad

Quote Originally Posted by explodingtaco
    On the fork, I got the idea that the Marzocchi was a better fork, but I like the lockout on the rock shox as I will ride 80% around town. I know I can pump the Marzochi's way up but with the Rock's I can just unlock it and dont have to let the pressure down. (am I right on my thinking here?)

Is the LX front deralilleurs that much better then the XT, as I thought it was, at least suppose to be, the other way around?

So as I see it, the real advantage of the Ibex is
    1. pedals (which I could buy for less then $40.)
    2. possibly the crank, I will call them later to find out which exact model it is. Even if it is the 5-D Jake at IBEX they are fine as long as extra attention is paid to them.

3.And what catches me as the most important: the brakes. On the brakes, how much more stopping power are the BB-7's going to have, or is it more of a question of reliability? I like the idea of Mechanical over Hydro. As I would assume that it would be easier to adjust and work on.

I know some of you are diehard IBEX guys, and I dont want to step on any toes, but I kind of like the idea of owning a new companies bike (as long as it is worth it) and I like the look of the Kinley. But being new to all of this it is like sometimes.

I do really appreciate the help and ideas.
    I thought the front derailleur was Deore on the Kinley. I stand corrected. As for the fork, yes the J2 has a lockout. Would you buy a Yugo over a GM becayse the Yugo had automatic door locks? Think about that one. The J2 is a Yugo, the Marzocchi a GM. I'm one of the Ibex proponents, but by no means would I be offended if you bought a Kinley. I've recommended other bikes over Ibex for the simple fact that the bike that was being compared to the Ibex is better. At this point, it comes back to the X factor of the cranks (Call Kinley and ask what exact model the cranks are before you commit), the fork and the brakes. I know the J2 is simply not a good fork. There's no getting around that. I know the Avid brakes are A class mechanical discs. They rarely, if ever have issues. The same can not be said about low end hydraulics like the Hayes offered on the Kinley. Does this mean they won't work? I don't know. You need to assess that for yourself. In all probability, they'll probably be fine.

Bottom line, if you feel that strongly about the Kinley, I say buy it. It's a good bike, no doubt about it. The worst thing you can do is buy a bike someone else recommended when you had your heart set on something else. You did, however ask for advice. I respectfully submit mine.

Let us know what you finally decide.

Bob
    'If Wal-Mart sold parachutes, who would jump?' Frank Havnoonian (quoting his father) Drexel Hill Cyclery

Explosive
    Quote Originally Posted by Call_me_Clyde

Let us know what you finally decide.

Bob
    Well like I said in post #8 it wont work for other reasons. I know I should get the Ibex, but this last week I have had ~$1000 in unexpected expenses as well as my car got broke into AGAIN (second time in less then 3 months) and with all that stuff pooring in it scares me to get something right now, and I know it is petty but I really dont like the Ibex paint job.

I am going to Houston next week, and will test ride some bikes, After that I hope to have a good enough idea of what I do and dont like to get whatever I need/want.

And good point with the Yugo