mtbr member
    Apr 2008

IBEX IGNITION 2 VS Jamis Dakar 06

Looking to buy my first full suspension bike.It will be used mostly for XC. I'm 6'2 220 so i'm looking for a bike thats rugged.

These two bikes are in my price range.
    Ibex ignition 2
    http://www.ibexbikes.com/Bikes/IGN-2-Details.html

Jamis Dakar 06
    http://bicyclebananas.com/mm5/mercha..._Code=14-Jamis

Are the components on these bikes comparable in quality since I i'm not looking to upgrade anytime soon.

Is there a big difference in rear suspension quality because of the difference in design?

I prefer the look of the Jamis frame and suspension but if the ibex rides better than I could get past the looks factor.

I can't compare these two at my LBS so i'm basing my buying decision off reviews.

Thanks for your help

David

Freshly Fujified

Pros and cons to both

Both bikes have their pros and cons. keep in mind the Ibex has 5" of travel, the Jamis has 4". That said, I'm no big fan of the Marzocchi fork on the Ibex, and just because it has 5" of travel, doesn't mean the fork is meant for aggressive riding, it's not. The Splice on the Jamis is in theory a better fork, but it has a spotty history. I'd take the Vanilla shock on the Jamis over the Vecir on the Ibex. It's a toss-up on the brakes for both bikes. As much as I like SRAM drivetrains, I'd take the Shimano drivetrain on the Jamis over the SRAM on the Ibex.

Bottom line, I think at the same price, I'd take the Jamis. Just keep in mind, the Jamis is only available ina 21" frame at the pirce you see. If the frame isn't the right size for you, then the point is moot.

Bob
    'If Wal-Mart sold parachutes, who would jump?' Frank Havnoonian (quoting his father) Drexel Hill Cyclery