Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

I think I'm a bike snob

490 views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  fred3 
#1 ·
I've been trying to figure out the perfect fit for my bike over the past three bikes I've had. I'm pretty darn close. Finally got the right top tube length and cockpit dimensions right, but the standover was a bit less than I wanted.

Dropped in the local bike shop over the weekend and found a bike that has the right top tube dimensions and the right standover, but the ones I can afford are down the ladder from what I'm riding now. I bought my bike before with mind to the frame first, parts second. Now the ones that would fit better, the frames are not quite as good; it has a lesser shock, a lesser tube set, and would be heavier than what I ride now. I... I am... a bike snob. Is there any hope for me?

I've looked at the bikes, or frames, that I want out there to possibly replace the one I have now and names like Ventena, Titus, Turner, and Yeti top that list, even though the budget won't allow one of 'em currently. Is it so wrong to know what I want?

My Rocky is serving me well and will continue for at least another year, but if I see the right sale this year on any of the 'right' (Fuego, Racer-X, Flux, etc) frames...the poor Rocky might hit E-Bay - fast.

Has anyone else found themselves in the same situation? They found the bike(s) the would fit better, but the coin just hasn't been there for the one(s) you really wanted?

JmZ

Hoping the swap meets will be nice to me this year. :)

See less See more
#2 ·
Nope, but it's more a matter of very few mfrs making bikes with a short enough standover for me. Had my loco since '00 and it'd still be tough to find a better bike for the conditions in Maine. Still if I did see one I wanted and it was outside my range I'd save for it. Personally I'd never buy used and especially a bike I wouldn't be able to see till it arrived on my doorstep. E-bay seems over 90 percent reliable, but I don't throw the dice for around 10 percent just to save a few bucks because I might be a tad impatient. Hope you find what you want.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.