mtbr member
    Sep 2009

I need advice. Buying my 1st Jump/Street/Trials bike. What would be suitable?

Okay I've ridden BMX for a few yrs now & was looking for a JST bike that I can also use just to chill around on.

I dont know much about JST bikes & I havent got a lot of cash so I went online & bought a Commencal MaxMax 26 with a short frame for 220. It got rave reviews so I decided it would be a good purchase.
    When it arrived they sent me the wrong colour - girly pink, so I have to send it back. I also took it out of the box & its HUGE!
    I'm only a little fella - 5 foot 6 inches & I'm not gonna grow any taller!, but it is a massive bike when I'm stood next to it & the top bar altho low is almost hitting my crotch!.

I had a look at their other bikes & they have a Commencal MaxMax 24, but it has suspension forks & I did some research on other internet shops that suggest that the 24 is a childs bike.

So right now I dunno whether to just send it back, exchange it for a 24, look for another bike in the same price range (220), or put the money towards improving my BMX (LOL).

So heres a round up:

I'm 5 foot 6 so I'm a small guy, looking spend 220 & its mostly street/trials I'll be doing, with maybe a little dirt jumping now n then. I'm not gonna hammer it into the ground hence the reason I dont wanna spend a huge amount of cash.

Any advice & help would be very appreciated, thanks.

mtbr member
    You might take a look at the Viper bikes at Chain Reaction like the Mad Boy, Sick and Fat. It looks like they only sell them in one size 14-15 inches. The Vipers in your price range look like the best bet. Over here the local riders like Kona but they might be out of your price range.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Thanx borrego I'll look into those bikes u mentioned.

So whats the difference (if any) between a Commencal 24 frame size compared to a 26 frame size? Shorter rear triangle & toptube?, or is it the same frame just smaller wheels & forks? Also is the Comm 24 a kids size trials bike or a 24 street/trials bike?
    Last edited by EDDIE_M0NS00N; 09-05-2009 at 04:46 PM.