mtbr member
    Sep 2009

I got a question

Hi, i am new to this forum so i don't know if this is the right place to put this.

I got a '08 (i think) K2 Sidewinder. I bought it over a year ago. The bike didn't give me any major problems until the march of this year. First the weld on the frame cracked so i got it welded, but then after about a month of riding it broke again. Now the frame is broken in half and its been sitting in the garage for about 6 months.

I would like to get into the Street/dirt style riding. And I got a question " Should i look for a new bike or buy a new frame and make something out of my K2 ? "

My budget is limited about $500-600

Tell me what you guys think

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by michalt95
    I got a '08 (i think) K2 Sidewinder. I bought it over a year ago. The bike didn't give me any major problems until the march of this year. First the weld on the frame cracked so i got it welded, but then after about a month of riding it broke again. Now the frame is broken in half and its been sitting in the garage for about 6 months.

I would like to get into the Street/dirt style riding. And I got a question " Should i look for a new bike or buy a new frame and make something out of my K2 ? "

My budget is limited about $500-600
    If the components are halfway decent, you could transfer some of them over to a new frame and purchase new components to use in place of those that are incompatible with your new frame.

If you're still considering a full suspension bike, you might consider this frame: Sette Flite.

If you want to spend $600 max on a new, complete full suspension bike, it's not really doable. Sure, you can find some department store bikes in that price range that look like full suspension bikes, but they will likely suffer the same fate as your K2 Sidewinder.

A more reasonable choice for your budget is a hardtail. There was a recent hardtail thread in the AM forum. I thought there were some good frame suggestions there. You might want to take a look: hardtail frame for 160mm I don't know how many of those frames will be in your budget, but it's worth a look just so you know the brands and models that you should look for.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    I know it is hard to get a good bike for that price.
    I would like to get a hardtrail bike or frame since I had many full suspension bikes and now I would like to try hardtrail.

As I said before i would like to get into the whole street style riding and i think a hard trail frame like the Ns Suburban or something like that is good

Do you guys have any good deals?

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    As I said before i would like to get into the whole street style riding and i think a hard trail frame like the Ns Suburban or something like that is good
    (BTW, it's hardtail, not hard trail.)

I have no experience with the NS Suburban frame. (I hadn't even heard of it 'til now.) But it looks like a reasonable frame for your purposes. I particularly like that it's made of steel; it should hold up better over the long term than an aluminum frame. Plus, you have a reasonably good shot at getting it fixed (welded) if it does break.

mtbr member
    If you wanted to spend less money you could do your own research on dirt jump hardtail frames. Places like Jenson, Pricepoint, Leader and there are others have frames for as low as $80. If you do enough looking around you might find a frame with the same tube diameters so that your seat post and derailleur match. If they dont you could probably find a used seat post and derailleur on Ebay that would match. This would be the budget route to go. You can sometimes get used hardtail frames on Ebay for not much more than the price of shipping. It would be a nice project to see how cheap you can do it. Eventually you might want to uprgrade the fork. The old sidewinder probably goes to the dump with just the shock left.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Thanks KevinB for pointing that mistake out.

Dear borregokid, i did a a little bit of research over the past months but i had to focus on school and during the vacation i had no computer so i couldn't do anything. I looked at the sites that you recommended and i found a nice bike on Jensenusa.com I really like the "Eastern Thunderbird Bike '09" (here is the link: http://www.jensonusa.com/store/produ...d+Bike+09.aspx . What do you guys think about it? i am considering buying it if everything goes alright.

mtbr member
    That is one ugly bike. If you already have most of the parts and you just need a frame why not check out the http://www.pricepoint.com/detail/186...Black-16.5.htm or http://www.pricepoint.com/detail/149...rame-%2706.htm
    Big Foot Blue KHS XC704r

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    i saw both of those frames.

So any more feedback about the Eastern Thunderbird?

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    So any more feedback about the Eastern Thunderbird?
    The price seems high for the quality of components on the bike. The fork, in particular, is not confidence inspiring. However, to be honest, I do not know much about that kind of bike.

You may want to ask on the Urban/DJ/Park forum to see what they think.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    ok i will make a thread on there and ill see if they can help