mtbr member
    Sep 2009

Hybrid conversion

There is the possiblility that I can pick up a Trek 7300 multitrack for $10. It's missing both wheels but comes with everything else. It definately needs some work but my question is, is it possible to take this hybrid bike and build it up into a more mountain oriented bike?

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    I know this is an old thread but I have the same question. I just picked up an multitrack 7100 for free minus the wheels.

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    Kinda weird that there are no responses. I have a similar situation. I got a couple of free Gary fisher and trek hybrid frames.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    If you want to put 26" wheels on it, the brake posts won't line up correctly with 26" rims (you may be able to find adaptors though). You may end up lowering the BB height. And may not have enough frame clearance for typical MTB tires.

If you want to put 700c rims on it (as was original), you'll likely have even less clearance for a fat MTB tire (29er tires), though you could just get the biggest cyclocross tire that will fit.

If the bike came with a suspension fork, it's almost certainly not a trail-worthy fork.

In either case, if you want to ride MTB trails, you would be much better off just getting a used MTB. Having to buy wheels for a cheap bike that isn't really what you want anyway, doesn't make sense to me.
    Warning: may contain sarcasm and/or crap made up in an attempt to feel important.

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    I am not sure about the 7300, but didn't the 7.3 and 7.2 come with the option for 26 inch wheels? I thought most of the trek hybrids gave a choice between the 700 or the 559?

mtbr member
    I did something like that, here:
    http://forums.roadbikereview.com/sho...d.php?t=201545

Mikey