Thread: huffy?

mtbr member
    Dec 2010

Hope huffy?

I found this bike. It is a huffy ironman triathlon pro 21 speed titanium boron steel mtn bike. Is this a good bike or a bad one? I've heard many opinions, but I can trust you guys to help me out. Mu fiancÚ wants to get it for me since I'm going to be pulling a trailor and whatnot. What do you guys think? Happy new year!! *cassie*

mtbr member
    How much? Pictures and more information needed.
    Duct tape iz like teh Force. It has a Lite side and a Dark side and it holdz the Universe together.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Huffy has traditionally been grouped with Wal-Mart grade Mongoose, NEXT, and other cheaply-made, poorly-assembled bikes meant for nothing more than cul-de-sac riding, paved bike paths, boardwalk riding at the beach, you get the idea. Yeah, you won't pay much but you don't get much either. Don't be fooled by fancy labeling like "pro", "titanium", or "ironman triathalon" its still a pretty junky bike overall compared with a lot of what's out there mtb-wise.

It's better to buy something higher-quality, even if its used, than throwaway stuff like a Huffy. I always figured a rocksolid respectable "real" mtb that has few issues despite heavy use represents a decent investment, especially if you hold onto it for a while.

Basically, what type of riding do you want to do and how much are you willing to pay? If I remember correctly from your other thread you're not really planning to do serious mtbing anyway. Maybe some kind of decent hybrid bike would work for you . . .

mtbr member
    So is it made from titanium, boron, or steel?

I second roxnroots. You'd be better off buying a real MTB, even if it's second hand. Huffy's and the like are built and designed as toys, not reliable and useful machines.

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    What about road masters? I am eventually going to get serious asson like biking across the country.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by GrampBredo
    So is it made from titanium, boron, or steel?

I second roxnroots. You'd be better off buying a real MTB, even if it's second hand. Huffy's and the like are built and designed as toys, not reliable and useful machines.
    Yeah, good point there on material composition (a boron bike ) - I've never heard "Huffy" and "titanium" mentioned in the same sentence before. Ya gotta love the marketing genius who came up with that one.

Geez, I was thinking I was living large with CF bars on my so-called high-end ride - if only I had known I could get ti on a Huffy I'd have saved myself some serious coin.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by bike warrior 10
    What about road masters? I am eventually going to get serious asson like biking across the country.
    What's road masters? Not familiar with that where I am in PA -You're out on the West Coast, right?

the test dummy
    no road masters are a wallmart bikes, go to your local bike shop and get a basic entry level hardtail.
    Quote Originally Posted by craftworks750
    Riding a mtb is like a reset button, 10 mins in and there is nothing else in the world that matters.
    my bikes
    -
    Ben

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by insanitylevel9
    no road masters are a wallmart bikes, go to your local bike shop and get a basic entry level hardtail.
    Oh, no. Wallyworld's got more than Walgoose out on the showroom floor? My question is if its busy mastering the road how does it have time to be conquering the mountain?

Again either a decent used mtb would be great if you know someone who rides seriously and would help you find something decent or, if you don't, do what insanity's saying and locate a decent LBS to properly fit you to a decent HT that, if you're lucky, might be a 2010 on clearance.

Obsession? Its a Passion!
    As long as it's "Shimano equipped" AND "Powered by SRAM" you should be just fine...
    Bike to Work,
    Work to Live,
    Live to Bike.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    I would bet that titanium is the color of the bike.
    It's junk.
    LS

No longer a hardtailkid.
    Quote Originally Posted by jrabikerepair
    As long as it's "Shimano equipped" AND "Powered by SRAM" you should be just fine...
    "Shimano Sticker Equipped"
    Quote Originally Posted by anthonys
    Its still just the push of a button away...
    I am no longer a hardtailkid. 2012 Trek Remedy 9!

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Road Masters is probably two steps below Huffy. NEXT would be below Huffy. Are you looking at their $69 MTB???

http://www.walmart.com/ip/26-Men-s-R...-Bike/13398147

AND you are thinking about riding across the country? Is this for real or are you joking? I thought about buying the Road Masters bike a couple of years ago to see if I would ever really ride a bike. It may be worth a shot to see if riding is for you... just dont take it offroad. Also, and I am serious here, plan on just throwing it away and getting a better bike if the bug bites you (in other words dont even bother trying to upgrade it). Honestly though used would be the way to go. Look on Craigslist (or the classifieds on MTBR.com) for the best deals as Ebay is overpriced. If you find a used bike and want a second opinion feel free to PM me. I am sure others on here would be willing to offer the same help.

mtbr member
    Take a look at this post: Beginners and Dept Store Bikes

Also, check out the beginner's forum. There's some good stuff there.
    "You should be riding a Huffy." - Dad

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by roxnroots
    ...snip - I've never heard "Huffy" and "titanium" mentioned in the same sentence before. Ya gotta love the marketing genius who came up with that one.
    ...snip
    The USA team rode Serotta/Huffy at the 1984 LA Olympics here and many other sources
    Duct tape iz like teh Force. It has a Lite side and a Dark side and it holdz the Universe together.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by mitzikatzi
    The USA team rode Serotta/Huffy at the 1984 LA Olympics here and many other sources
    Now there's some interesting trivia!

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by FireLikeIYA
    Road Masters is probably two steps below Huffy. NEXT would be below Huffy. Are you looking at their $69 MTB???

http://www.walmart.com/ip/26-Men-s-R...-Bike/13398147

AND you are thinking about riding across the country? Is this for real or are you joking? I thought about buying the Road Masters bike a couple of years ago to see if I would ever really ride a bike. It may be worth a shot to see if riding is for you... just dont take it offroad. Also, and I am serious here, plan on just throwing it away and getting a better bike if the bug bites you (in other words dont even bother trying to upgrade it). Honestly though used would be the way to go. Look on Craigslist (or the classifieds on MTBR.com) for the best deals as Ebay is overpriced. If you find a used bike and want a second opinion feel free to PM me. I am sure others on here would be willing to offer the same help.
    What, there's no truth in advertising? Wallyworld does say that its "all-terrain" and with a padded seat. Who wouldn't want to take that for the mtbr's version of a National Lampoon-style cross-country spin?

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by roxnroots
    What, there's no truth in advertising? Wallyworld does say that its "all-terrain" and with a padded seat. Who wouldn't want to take that for the mtbr's version of a National Lampoon-style cross-country spin?
    I have actually seen this bike in person over at Target (yep, they sell it too)... It has plastic brake levers... enough said.

T.W.O.
    OP, like I said before on your other thread, buy it right.

You can even check out bikedirect they have cheap mtb you can get for about 200-300. unless it's a used mtb you are not going to find one that's dirt worthy for under $100.

We are not snobs, the reason we are telling you that the $69 special at Walmart is a POS because it is. It's not design for off-road riding, if you look on the frame it would say that. I wish there's an easier or cheaper way for you to find your bike but there's no info given since your first post.

The best way to get help would be to provide
    Budget
    Riding style; Paved road, park, dirt, fireroad, single track. Cross country(XC), All mountain(AM) ect
    Height and if possible weight(only if you on extreme end, a few frames do not react well with 300lbs rider)

your goal, now we have an idea that you want to ride across the country, then mountain bike may not be a good start for you, you may need a touring bike, and yes they are different than road bike.

Based on the last info alone I'd suggest that you get something like Cannondale Badboy. It's a beefy mountain bike frame with road wheel.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by FireLikeIYA
    I have actually seen this bike in person over at Target (yep, they sell it too)... It has plastic brake levers... enough said.
    Yeah, but it's a high-density polymer designed to NASA specs, tested in Wallyworld's own in-house version of Consumer Reports' labs, and assembled under the most rigorous of manufacturing conditions.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by mimi1885
    OP, like I said before on your other thread, buy it right.

You can even check out bikedirect they have cheap mtb you can get for about 200-300. unless it's a used mtb you are not going to find one that's dirt worthy for under $100.

We are not snobs, the reason we are telling you that the $69 special at Walmart is a POS because it is. It's not design for off-road riding, if you look on the frame it would say that. I wish there's an easier or cheaper way for you to find your bike but there's no info given since your first post.

The best way to get help would be to provide
    Budget
    Riding style; Paved road, park, dirt, fireroad, single track. Cross country(XC), All mountain(AM) ect
    Height and if possible weight(only if you on extreme end, a few frames do not react well with 300lbs rider)

your goal, now we have an idea that you want to ride across the country, then mountain bike may not be a good start for you, you may need a touring bike, and yes they are different than road bike.

Based on the last info alone I'd suggest that you get something like Cannondale Badboy. It's a beefy mountain bike frame with road wheel.
    Absolutely +1 on this to the OP. A $69 bike will only disappoint and leave you thinking cycling in general sucks. None of us want that to be your experience.

Granted this was more than 10 years ago but I think its still relevant: My wife bought a Huffy mtb from a now-bankrupt dept. store (Ames - anyone in the Northeast U.S. remember that place?) before we met in either '98 or '99. Somehow it managed to simultaneously be the heaviest, flimsiest POS ever made characterized by terrible shifting, crappy plastic pedals, the weakest brakes ever, etc.

That Huffy was so bad that I considered it unsafe and therefore irresponsible on my part to sell at our yardsale. It was going out to the garbage with a note to scavengers stating it was unsafe when my sister and brother-in-law (serious mtbr and wrench) said they'd take it (knowing how bad it was) and fix it right for the kids to beat in their yard. Glad to see that go.

rmi
    Still using dork disk.
    I'm sure you can ride a Huffy across the country. I would just make sure that you have proper mechanical knowledge before setting off on the trip. As others have said, department store bikes are known for mechanical issues, poor quality, and unreliability. As long as you are knowledgeable of that, and have the know-how to fix anything that may arise, I'd say go for it.

If you want a bike that can get you there with less fuss, may be worth investing a little more money. You will not only be paying for better reliability, but better performance too.

Ryan

I found this bike. It is a huffy ironman triathlon pro 21 speed titanium boron steel mtn bike. Is this a good bike or a bad one? I've heard many opinions, but I can trust you guys to help me out. Mu fiancÚ wants to get it for me since I'm going to be pulling a trailor and whatnot. What do you guys think? Happy new year!! *cassie*