Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Which HT to get...

589 views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  borregokid 
#1 ·
I've just started getting into xc biking (not into big jumps or downhill) and I'm really enjoying it. Right now I'm riding an old cannondale ('94 m700), which I love except for the fact that it is rigid. I love the lightness of the C'Dale (about 25lbs) but I would really like a little suspension (FS would add to much weight and I think I prefer the rigidness in the rear anyway for better sprinting). So I've been looking into getting another bike and narrowed it down to 2 different ones (one new one used). Please let me know which you think is better and why, or if you have another similar bike in mind.

Bike #1:
2009 Motobecane Fly 9357

Bike #2:
Klein Attitude 19.5" (used and modified) $750:
Specs:
-Fox F100rlc fork
-Hayes Nines (hydraulic discs)
-Shimano XT everywhere else
-Rolf Dolomite wheels
-Thomson stem and seatpost
-Easton carbon bars
-Chris King headset
-titanium saddle
-Hope seatpost clamp
-Crank Brothers candy pedals
-Weight 25lbs

I like the motobecane, but it's kinda more than I really have to spend right now (but with it's components it seems like a really good deal...and a bike that could last me a long time). Plus it's super light!
The Klein is cheap and while it's components aren't quite as new or nice its a lot cheaper. Not as light either but 25lbs is the weight of my current bike and I get along just fine with that weight (although he lighter the better).

What do you think?? Any other bike recommendations? How do the 2 forks compare?

See less See more
#3 ·
It's hard to compare a used bike at $750 to a new bike at twice the price.
Since your just getting into it (or back into it) I would say save some money and go with the Klein because me thinks you're going to want a full suspension sometime soon (in addition to your hardtail).
My concerns with the Klein would be the condition of the fork and whether the frame was designed for a 100mm fork (you said it was used but didn't say what year the frame was).

#5 ·
SilverJester said:
It was a Klein Attitude....but unfortuently it was just sold :( The klein seemed like a good deal to me, but makes me think I should spend a little time searching for used bikes for a little while. But in the meanwhile, what do you guys think about the motobecane?
The Motobecane is a great bike, I own one. But keep in mind it isn't really trail worthy as delivered due to some of the light weight parts. The tires and tubes are basically unusable. The tires are small (they say they are 1.95, but are really more like 1.7), thin, and almost no tread and the tubes are super thin (expect lots of flats). Also it comes with an Ultegra road cassette, which may or may not work for you depending on how steep the climbs are on the trails you ride. Other than that it is a great bike with all top of the line parts.

#6 ·
The Klein was nice. I think in your area its going to be very hard to find another decent hardtail that fits. Make sure you have the size nailed down. If your are looking at a 19 or 20 inch bike you should be in the 6' range. The Motobecane Fantom at $999 is fairly attractive. Performance sells the GT Zaskar for the same price, you might have to drive aways. Your local bike shop with an end of season discount might have an attractive deal.

#7 ·
ljsmith said:
The Motobecane is a great bike, I own one. But keep in mind it isn't really trail worthy as delivered due to some of the light weight parts. The tires and tubes are basically unusable. The tires are small (they say they are 1.95, but are really more like 1.7), thin, and almost no tread and the tubes are super thin (expect lots of flats). Also it comes with an Ultegra road cassette, which may or may not work for you depending on how steep the climbs are on the trails you ride. Other than that it is a great bike with all top of the line parts.
Thanks. That's pretty consistent with what I've read so far.

borregokid said:
The Klein was nice. I think in your area its going to be very hard to find another decent hardtail that fits. Make sure you have the size nailed down. If your are looking at a 19 or 20 inch bike you should be in the 6' range. The Motobecane Fantom at $999 is fairly attractive. Performance sells the GT Zaskar for the same price, you might have to drive aways. Your local bike shop with an end of season discount might have an attractive deal.
I'm about 5'10"...so I was thinking a 19" frame, or do you think that would be too big?
I love the customer service at the lbs, but I'm not to thrilled with there bike selections. There are actually a few different shops, but of the 3 only 1 that I really frequent, maybe I'll stop in at the other 2 to see if they have anything on discount.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.