mtbr member
    Aug 2008

HRXC When do I upgrade the frame and why?

I bought my first bike after 10+ years of not owning one. I've had the hrxc for 1.5 years and love it so far. I'm a gearhead and love modding things instead of buying them already built.

So far my mods are:
    203mm front, 185mm rear BB7s with Cleansweep G2 rotors and ceramic pads
    Speed dial 7 levers
    Rock Shox Revelation dual air fork
    Some higher quality SRAM chain
    WTB Mutano Raptor 2.4" tires

Next will be the gear sets and shifters then lightening with parts such as a carbon seat post and handlebars.

I see no reason to upgrade the frame but I'm sure people aren't riding around on those nice expensive frames for nothing. So is it weight, strength, or both? Is frame strength really something to be concerned about, as far as an outright failure?

I started out slow, riding the bike path at first and I'm progressing into many mountain and DH trips now.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    HRXC...the $500 Specialized with an 80mm fork? (please tell me I'm wrong)

I don't think I would have put a Revelation on that bike. Not only does it double the value of your bicycle, isn't that a 150mm fork? I'm surprised that didn't make the bike handle like a truck.

Otherwise, if you see no reason to upgrade the frame, I guess you shouldn't. I don't know much about the frame in question, maybe it's really good and worth upgrading...seems unlikely at that price point however.

Are you sure you wouldn't be happier with an AM hardtail? That seems to be what you're slowly trying to build. I think I would be absolutely terrified to ride that bike on a 'DH' run.

mtbr member
    I think with the Revelation and the other upgrades you are really just getting ready to swap everything out to a full suspension frame. You mention using the bike for DH so it only makes sense that your next upgrade might be a full-suspension frame. I think a used Specialized Enduro FS frame would make a lot of sense from Ebay if you got the right price. Pricepoint has their Sette Flite frame for $400. I would focus in on the right frame and keep a short list. The Specialized Enduro frame would probably have the best chance of seat tube, derailleur, and headset matching up.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    I'm trying to get quality components right now that will work well on a more expensive frame later on. I'm pretty new to this so it's fun throwing one mod at a time to see the results.

I agree that the fork is the same price as the whole bike but I got it at an unbelievable price new in the box.

If you guys don't mind, why would the extra suspension travel make it handle bad? I should probably know this before I go looking around for another frame.

Oh, and it is the $480 hrxc disc.

Me and the girlfriend bought two of the same bikes and she's somehow ending up with lots of "spare" parts lol.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by borregokid
    I think with the Revelation and the other upgrades you are really just getting ready to swap everything out to a full suspension frame. You mention using the bike for DH so it only makes sense that your next upgrade might be a full-suspension frame. I think a used Specialized Enduro FS frame would make a lot of sense from Ebay if you got the right price. Pricepoint has their Sette Flite frame for $400. I would focus in on the right frame and keep a short list. The Specialized Enduro frame would probably have the best chance of seat tube, derailleur, and headset matching up.
    Thanks for the advice on the frame, I'm going to check that out right now.

When I mention DH, keep in mind this is coming from a beginner. The worst I've done so far is a 30 mile trail that loses 7,500'. I'm not sure how that compares to the hardcore people on here but I assume it's mild. GPS showed 45-50mph a few times, by far the fastest i've ever been on a bike.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Anyone else think upgrading the frame is worth it. I just installed the x-lite seat post and handlebars. I have problems.

One question, what type of scale do you guys use to weigh your bikes? I would like to see just how heavy this one is.
    '08 Hardrock HRXC
    '09 Epic Comp
    '14 Trance SX - 1x11 XX1/X01, Monarch Plus, Zee 4 pots, 203 Icetech, Laser V