mtbr member
    May 2016

How to upgrade a stock 2013 Specialized Camber 29

So I am 2 years into mountain biking and finally feel like i have reached a point where I'd like to make my bike "better, stronger faster."

Of course I could go out a buy another bike (i.e. carbon frame etc.) but would rather spend less money and just upgrade what I have. Is a carbon frame really worth it? I could sell my current bike to offset the cost, but just not sure what the best option would be.

Can any of you experts chime in and give me your opinion on upgrading vs buying an upgraded Carbon frame bike?

As the title says. I have a "stock" 2013 Specialized Camber 29.

Thanks for any input.

mtbr member
    Well, what don't you like about the bike you have? Change that bit.

mtbr member
    As Mr. Pig said, you need to identify what part of the bike you are not happy with.

Without any specific information on the type of trails you ride, how often you ride, what skill level you are, do you ride alone or in a group...

I recently worked with my friend to upgrade his 2014 Stumpjumper 29-er. We swapped the stock brakes for new Shimano XT. These are the benchmark for high quality brakes that are easy to maintain. Great modulation, adjustment, power and feel.

We changed his drivetrain to a 1x10. Replaced front ring to a 30t narrow-wide and added a One-Up 42t ring and removed the 17t ring. Removed FD and shifter. Helped clean up his cockpit.

Swapped in a wider bar with slightly shorter stem.
    Changed saddle

He just installed a Reverb dropper post.

Will make his wheels tubeless next.

If you haven't already, you should be looking to service your fork and shock. Check pivots for play.

Do normal maintenance.
    Just get out and ride!