mtbr member
    Nov 2008

How is the Merida Trans-Mission TFS 900-D?

Hi,

I've been riding an entry-level hardtail for about six months, and i would like to upgrade to a full-suspension bike for mostly XC and a bit of AM.
    My LBS has offered me a trade-in deal for a Merida Trans-Mission TFS 900-D
    For the price offered (even without the trade-in discount), this bike seems to have much better components than other brands. I tried it out, and it feel nice and smooth, but i guess that's because of the transition to FS.
    The review seems to be quite positive (like all reviews for all bikes ).
    I would like to hear from other folks who have tried it out, what they have to say. If anyone owns this bike for a while, how durable is it?

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Fuzz,

One of my primary mtb buddies rides the 2006 Mission Light, it has seen a lot of hard miles and I have ridden it quite a bit. His bike has a DT Swiss rear shock and Reba SL fork, so keep this in mind when reading my impression.

I'll start with durability: very durable, no bearing play at all after many hard miles and rarely being cleaned. The suspension action is not as plush as other horst-type suspensions out there, but the suspension platform on the one I rode was more efficient than many I have tried in the past. If I were to give up my affinity for VPP designs, I'd seriously consider this one.

His bike is very well balanced, and really flows nicely through fast sections of trail. A tad heavy (now with discs), but I'm more willing to slam the Mission through stuff than I am the typical lightweight XC bikes that I prefer.

One problem for me is that Merida and Mierda look too much the same, one being a nice bike, the other being crap (literally). But that's a personal problem...

If nothing else, I'd recommend it to a friend. Good luck with your decision.

G.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    thanks, gringo

Merida is not that a well-known brand (at least not to me) and i am still a bit hesitant about buying one of their bikes, but i will take your experience into account.
    One thing i can say about Merida that their bike specs show very good value/buck in their products.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by fuzzyBuzz
    thanks, gringo

Merida is not that a well-known brand (at least not to me) and i am still a bit hesitant about buying one of their bikes, but i will take your experience into account.
    One thing i can say about Merida that their bike specs show very good value/buck in their products.
    You've heard of Specialized right?

You may be interested to know that Specialized bikes are made in the Merida factory, Merida half owns them (well, 49%). They're also the second largets bike maker in the world.

Build quality wise they are fine, go to mainland europe and Meridas are everywhere. If the price looks good go for it.

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    You won't be disappointed if you buy this bike. I've owned one for about a year and it rides as well as it did when it was new. Quiet, no creaks, no maintenance, everything works beautifully.

As for Merida not being well know, well that will change very soon. They build bikes for a lot of other companies and stay out of the market they build for, but that is now changing. As someone has already said they are huge in Europe with their own racing team which does very well.

Bang for buck they are unbeatable. A great bike which I would recommend to anyone.

mtbr member

Late to the conversation

Hey..I am late to post here, but better late then never. I am in China and have been looking at Giant or Merida. Giant has some very nice bikes (XTC and others), and I browsed their store many times. Then I passed by the Merida store and stopped in for a look. Now, I am no bike expert, in fact I am in the market for my first nice XC/AM bike, but I noticed something immediately. It seems to me the Merida bikes are all equipped with nicer gear than their Giant counter parts. I saw an XTC model with a Giant brand fork, over at Merida all the forks were Rock Shox or Black, SRAM 9, remote shock adjusters. Everything seemed to be tricked out a bit more. Now I don't know if you are loosing in the frame department, but from what I saw Merida seemed like the best value at any price.