Religion = Non-thinking

How to install carbon seatpost

1. do i need any kind of grease/lube? which, can i use anything around the house?

2. how tight do i need the quick release on the seat tube to be? i dont have a torque wrench and i never did anything related to carbon before...

3. any misc tips when dealing with carbon fiber?

i'm talking about the FSA SL-K Carbon SB25 Seatpost 30.9
    RH SL Pro

I think I need to Upgrade
    1. With carbon fiber NEVER USE GREASE OR ANY TYPE OF OIL!! If you do you face the possibility of it attacking the materials that make up the post and causing it to weaken and/or swell in the frame and ultimately expirence a failure. With that in mind clean out your frame of any grease or oil that may be in the seat tube of the frame.

2. Tighten the QR just enough so that the seatpost doesn't slide down into the frame and/or you can't grab the seat and twist the post in the frame.

3. Tips? Don't over tighten the post clamp. If you need or want to and it might not be a bad idea to do so you can use Finish Line Carbon Assembly Lube (or any brand of Carbon assembly lube). It is formulated specificaly for the use on carbon fiber.

Religion = Non-thinking
    alright i'll be sure to clean out my seat tube, maybe with some paper towels and rubbing alcohol? (or what?)

just to be sure, the QR has two things to mention, the tightening bolt, and the tightening lever, i'm pretty sure you're talking about the seatpost not being able to slide up/down the frame or move side to side with the tightening lever in the "tight" position right?
    RH SL Pro

Quote Originally Posted by louisssss
    alright i'll be sure to clean out my seat tube, maybe with some paper towels and rubbing alcohol? (or what?)

just to be sure, the QR has two things to mention, the tightening bolt, and the tightening lever, i'm pretty sure you're talking about the seatpost not being able to slide up/down the frame or move side to side with the tightening lever in the "tight" position right?

1. Alcohol works or some kind of degreaser what ever you have handy, I might lean more towards a rag than paper towels to get more of a scrubbing effect.

2.Correct, up/down in the frame or twist in the frame with the QR tight in the closed position.

Religion = Non-thinking
    if there is lube DEEEEP (like 12" deep) into the seattube, how am i supposed to rub in there to get the existing lube out?
    RH SL Pro

Broomstick and a towel?
    Last edited by AzSpeedfreek; 11-09-2009 at 11:52 PM.

Religion = Non-thinking
    ^^ u mean broomstick?
    RH SL Pro

~Disc~Golf~
    I'd use my penis...
    30.9 ST? nevermind
    Honestly... ahh I give up

^^ u mean broomstick?
    Yea smelling is for the bards!

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Grease and oil will not attack a carbon seatpost. What material is the frame made from? There is the possibility for a galvanic type reaction which can cause problems.

Here's a quote from one of the finest carbon builders in the business and someone who knows more about carbon fiber than anyone on this board.

From Craig Calfee

Dear Lennard, (referring to Lennard Zinn)
    Thankfully! An opportunity to dispel the myth that one shouldn't grease a carbon post! I don't know where the myth started, but carbon composites are not affected by grease. Our advice is simple: If the seatpost fits tight, grease it. If it slips, de-grease it. As has been known for many years, when aluminum and carbon fiber contact each other, galvanic corrosion can start. That is why Calfee uses a fiberglass sleeve as a seat tube shim. Aluminum seat tube (or sleeve) and a carbon post will result in corrosion of the frame and possible seizure of the post within the frame. A carbon sleeve on an aluminum post will result in corrosion of the post. Salty environments accelerate this corrosion. Anodizing merely slows it down. About the only common chemical that will hurt carbon fiber is paint remover (which attacks the resin between the fibers). But there are many solvents that will dull a nice paint job.
    Craig Calfee
    I might add that carbon assembly paste is also fine.

Religion = Non-thinking
    So what's all this corrosion talk about? If I simply use the carbon post inside of my m4 RH aluminum frame it will get stuck? How do people prevent this?
    RH SL Pro

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    So what's all this corrosion talk about? If I simply use the carbon post inside of my m4 RH aluminum frame it will get stuck? How do people prevent this?
    Grease, carbon assembly paste (basically grease with some grit, FSA's version uses tiny plastic beads).

Religion = Non-thinking
    so do all people agree that with a seatpost clamp with a quick release mechanism, there is not "torque specification" all we do is tighten it to a point where the seatpost doesn't move during riding and be done with it. Am i right?

of course, this is after i manage to remove all the grease from the inside (still dont know what to use to remove it, is dishsoap + water okay?
    RH SL Pro

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    so do all people agree that with a seatpost clamp with a quick release mechanism, there is not "torque specification" all we do is tighten it to a point where the seatpost doesn't move during riding and be done with it. Am i right?

of course, this is after i manage to remove all the grease from the inside (still dont know what to use to remove it, is dishsoap + water okay?
    Yes, tighten it to the point where it doesn't move when riding, but don't over tighten. I use the same rule of thumb as a quick release skewer. Tighten it so it briefly leaves an imprint on your palm.

Don't bother to remove the grease. Try it the way it is (residual grease and all) and see. If it slips I'd try carbon assembly paste first. If it still slips I'd clean everything and install it dry.

Quote Originally Posted by meloh1
    Grease and oil will not attack a carbon seatpost. What material is the frame made from? There is the possibility for a galvanic type reaction which can cause problems.

Here's a quote from one of the finest carbon builders in the business and someone who knows more about carbon fiber than anyone on this board.

I might add that carbon assembly paste is also fine.

WOW so the "Expert" knows everything in the world about carbonfiber and everything in the world about grease and oil??? Sorry but I am calling BULL $HIT!! Is he aware that grease and oil these days carry things such as "detergents" in them? It is the extra stuff that is in the grease and oil that attacks the carbon fiber, but what do I know I am not a self proclaimed expert I have just whitnessed carbonfiber being damaged by grease with my own eyes maybe a dozen times and cut maybe a dozen carbon seatposts out of frames over the time that I was working in the shop.

Go ahead and use grease or oil on your carbon post if you want to, I never will. If I ever do use something it will be the carbon prep paste because it is made to be inert and not attack carbon fiber.

Now I have read info from Easton stating that grease and oil should have no effect on their current production carbon but that was from Easton, not FSA. I have not seen any info from FSA or any other Mfgrs saying that grease and oil should not have any effect on their carbon. Regardless there is Carbon assembly paste that won't harm carbon so in staying with "Use the right tool for the job" it is best and only wise to use the carbon paste.
    Last edited by AzSpeedfreek; 11-10-2009 at 01:35 PM.

Religion = Non-thinking
    Can someone link me to a good carbon paste in small size?
    RH SL Pro

Can someone link me to a good carbon paste in small size?

http://www.bikepartsusa.com/cgi-bin/...source=froogle youcould try your local bike shop also.

Religion = Non-thinking
    Quote Originally Posted by AzSpeedfreek
    http://www.bikepartsusa.com/cgi-bin/...source=froogle youcould try your local bike shop also.
    damn this stuff is hard to find, i haven't even found any other brand's carbon fiber lube at Jenson/PP.
    RH SL Pro

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    damn this stuff is hard to find, i haven't even found any other brand's carbon fiber lube at Jenson/PP.
    Three brands (there may be others), Tacx, FSA and Finish Line. Aebike carries them http://aebike.com/parts-accessories-...ounds-t320.htm but I bet your LBS has at least one of 'em.

mtbr member
    Same rules apply for greasing a carbon handlebar on an anodized alum stem?

aka, same rules don't apply using Craig Calfee's pro carbon knowledge?

BTW, its a cheap, old ICON stem.. $35 answer carbon riser handlebar. Maybe I'll see what happens. Of course the stem has less contact than a post in a seat tube, but should follow same logic, right?

Quote Originally Posted by drexlerkm
    Same rules apply for greasing a carbon handlebar on an anodized alum stem?

Why would you grease a handlebar in a stem clamp? If you use grease you may have to over tighten the clamp to prevent the bar from rotating. To answer your question, Yes.

aka, same rules don't apply using Craig Calfee's pro carbon knowledge
    In this situation I am going to completely ignore his knowledge pertaining to the compatibility of grease, oil, and carbon because it goes against personal experience and against using the right tool for the job.

BTW, its a cheap, old ICON stem.. $35 answer carbon riser handlebar. Maybe I'll see what happens. Of course the stem has less contact than a post in a seat tube, but should follow same logic, right?
    If you want to risk your health then have fun.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by AzSpeedfreek
    Why would you grease a handlebar in a stem clamp? If you use grease you may have to over tighten the clamp to prevent the bar from rotating.
    Oh, I'm not going to grease it.

If you want to risk your health then have fun.
    What do you mean?

I guess my question is, will the carbon handlebar start to corrode because its mounted on aluminum?

Quote Originally Posted by drexlerkm
    Oh, I'm not going to grease it.

What do you mean?

I guess my question is, will the carbon handlebar start to corrode because its mounted on aluminum?
    I have never seen carbon corrode, I have seen it crack, break, and crumble but not corrode. Instaling a carbon bar in/on an Al stem is something that I don't have any issue with, if I were to put a carbon bar on my bike it would be in an Al stem.

Religion = Non-thinking
    what do i do to prevent my carbon seatpost to corrode into my aluminum rockhopper frame?
    RH SL Pro

what do i do to prevent my carbon seatpost to corrode into my aluminum rockhopper frame?
    If you really are oncerned about this happening then use the carbon prep paste, it should provide enough of an inert barrier to stop corrosion.