mtbr member
    Nov 2006

How important is it to buy handmade from a local builder?

I'm kicking around my next bike purchase and wanted the MTBR community's help.

I live in a city where there are lots of outstanding handmade bicycle builders. I've purchased several handmade bikes in the past - some from local builders - and have been happy with the service and product provided from each builder.

I'm most interested in a bike built by a builder in the US, but from several hundreds of miles away from where I live. My conscience is telling me to keep it local and go with a builder in my city - perhaps even my own neighborhood. I keep asking myself how I'd feel if I ran into any one of our local builders on a trail riding a handmade bike from somewhere outside where I live. Or, more importantly, how they might feel.

I've wrestled with this long enough on my own. Now I'm interested in the MTBR community's input.

Any thoughts?

Thanks.

Picture Unrelated
    First off, let me say that I would love to have this problem; which beautiful handmade frame will I choose? I think in the end you either need to buy the bike you have your eye on or talk to one of your local builders and see if they can make one like it. If you don't think they can recreate whatever feature you like about the bike that isn't local then buy the non-local bike. I can't speak for your local framebuilders but I think I would have a hard time chastising someone for riding any handmade bike rather than choosing a big overseas manufacturer.
    Don't you hate it when a sentence doesn't end the way you think it octopus?

Picture Unrelated
    Quote Originally Posted by Darlene272 View Post
    No, they were some cheap bmx pedals i picked up at the lbs. I was havin problems slipping off so i got those and a pair of walmart skater shoes. Problem solved...
    One of us has misread the question. I can't be sure it's not me.
    Don't you hate it when a sentence doesn't end the way you think it octopus?

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    My guess is another one who's spamming to get their ten posts...

Although on topic, I agree with zebrahum, see if your local builders can create you one like it, and if they can't, buy the non locally built bike.

mtbr member
    Buy the frame you want from the builder you want.
    Duct tape iz like teh Force. It has a Lite side and a Dark side and it holdz the Universe together.

T.W.O.
    Quote Originally Posted by danwerle View Post
    lder.

My conscience is telling me to keep it local and go with a builder in my city - perhaps even my own neighborhood. I keep asking myself how I'd feel if I ran into any one of our local builders on a trail riding a handmade bike from somewhere outside where I live. Or, more importantly, how they might feel.

I've wrestled with this long enough on my own. Now I'm interested in the MTBR community's input.

Any thoughts?

Thanks.
    Unless you have made a promise to get a bike from your local builder(s), I'd follow mitzkatzi advice, I think you worry to much. You can always blame it on me if they asked

Quote Originally Posted by mitzikatzi View Post
    Buy the frame you want from the builder you want.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Do local builders offer warranties to match major brands?

T.W.O.
    Quote Originally Posted by podoco View Post
    Do local builders offer warranties to match major brands?
    Probably more but OP does not want the major brands, just another builder not local

nothing to see here
    If the local builder can't/won't produce what you want, then look elsewhere.

Also, if a local builder gets his nose out of joint seeing you riding someone else's work, then that's a pretty good reason to cross them off the list for the future.
    I see hills.

I want to climb them.

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    Thanks.

I Think mimi1885 is right. In many instances, local builders would probably appreciate the opportunity to see up close what others are doing anyway.

Podoco, from my experience, handmade builders have done a great job with repairing defects and correcting errors. I haven't had many issues along those lines, thankfully, but the builders I have worked with have been really helpful.

I was really looking for reinforcement and got it.

Thanks again for everyone's help.

Sweep the leg!
    I've had two frames made for me and in both cases it was about getting the right bike, not supporting a local builder. In my case I'd be looking at a Strong or a Quiring for my next custom frame, why? Because of what they've done for others and what they can do for me. Could Waterford do the same thing for me? Probably. Waterford is an hour's drive but I just don't want one.
    Authorities speculate that speed may have been a factor. They are also holding gravity and inertia for questioning.

It's about showing up.
    Hand-built is out of my price range. My bikes are already more capable than I am.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails How important is it to buy handmade from a local builder?-ebonti967.jpg  

I don't rattle.

mtbr member
    May 2012

can local frame builders use hydroform techniques?

Do local frame builders have access to competitive technology?