Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Sep 2004

How about Blur vs. Mount Vision?

Thanks for the feedback to my earlier post regarding the Mount Vision vs. Superlight. What do you think about the Blur with the r-kit (Shimano XT/LX, v-brakes and Fox / Fifth Element shocks with no lockout) vs. Mount Vision (Shimano XT shifters and derailleurs, Hayes HFX disc brakes and Fox Float front and rear suspension with lockouts)? I'll be using it on both street and dirt. The Mount Vision is better equipped but does the Blur's VPP suspension make it a better choice?

www.derbyrims.com

Blur rides better

Quote Originally Posted by Jetstream
    Thanks for the feedback to my earlier post regarding the Mount Vision vs. Superlight. What do you think about the Blur with the r-kit (Shimano XT/LX, v-brakes and Fox / Fifth Element shocks with no lockout) vs. Mount Vision (Shimano XT shifters and derailleurs, Hayes HFX disc brakes and Fox Float front and rear suspension with lockouts)? I'll be using it on both street and dirt. The Mount Vision is better equipped but does the Blur's VPP suspension make it a better choice?
    I'm a big fan of the Marin Terra Quad longer travel design ( 4 - 6 inches adjustable, such as the Wolf Ridge) it's awsome, but I wasn't very impressed with my demo on the XC Quad designed Mount Vision for ride quality compared to my Tracer's ride with the same shock. For racing the Mount Vision would probably be better as a lighter bike compared to the Blur. But the Blur has more travel and feels much less spikey riding over bumps. Both are low bob pedalers, the Blur just cruises better in the rough, and handles great. The Marin pivot bearings are probably more reliable due to design differences and have a 10 year pivot life warrantee.

JMO

- ray
    Last edited by derby; 10-07-2004 at 08:23 AM.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by derby
    I'm a big fan of the Marin Terra Quad longer travel design ( 4 - 6 inches adjustable, such as the Wolf Ridge) it's awsome, but I wasn't very impressed with my demo on the XC Quad designed Mount Vision for ride quality compared to my Tracer's ride with the same shock. For racing the Mount Vision would probably be better as a lighter bike compared to the Blur. But the Blur has more travel and feels much less spikey riding over bumps. Both are low bob pedalers, the Blur just cruises better in the rough, and handles great. The Marin pivot bearings are probably more reliable due to design differences and have a 10 year pivot life warrantee.

JMO

- ray
    Sifting through this, it seems you find the Marin a great xc race/fast bike, am I correct? I do not need more than 4" ever (wimpy xc guy who keeps his ego in check) even on my "gnarly epic" rides, and it seems the Marin design is what I'm looking for in terms of weight and price and performance (now if that darn water bottle mount was elsewhere).

www.derbyrims.com
    Quote Originally Posted by danK
    Sifting through this, it seems you find the Marin a great xc race/fast bike, am I correct? I do not need more than 4" ever (wimpy xc guy who keeps his ego in check) even on my "gnarly epic" rides, and it seems the Marin design is what I'm looking for in terms of weight and price and performance (now if that darn water bottle mount was elsewhere).
    Yes, The XC Quad such as the Mount Vision feels much like a RacerX just not as buttery on rough trail. It is supposed to have 4 inches travel (a little more than the RX but it feels like less travel). The Mount Vision shock rate is more rising rate deeper in travel than the more linear overall suspension of the RacerX or my Tracer, and that's probably why it feels less plush and more spikey over bumps compared to what I'm used to. And it bobs less than the Tracer so it is probably better accelerating which is more efficent for racing. It should be a great race bike, it is a light and flex free frame with quick handling. Try to get a test ride on one.

- ray

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

New question here. Quad's Rebound Rate

Derby,
    Did you have a chance to play with the rebound rate on the rear shock? I found I had to run it much slower since the Mount Visions Quad-Links are 12 times faster than a typical 4-bar link. I found the bike to ride rather harshly over the smaller rough stuff untill I adjusted the rebound way down. I think it 8 clicks from the slwest position (out of 26).
    I'm normally a 'middle of the road' person when it comes to rebound & compression settings but not on the Quad bikes.
    Hope this helps.

Lance

www.derbyrims.com

I need another test ride

Quote Originally Posted by Lance
    Derby,
    Did you have a chance to play with the rebound rate on the rear shock? I found I had to run it much slower since the Mount Visions Quad-Links are 12 times faster than a typical 4-bar link. I found the bike to ride rather harshly over the smaller rough stuff untill I adjusted the rebound way down. I think it 8 clicks from the slwest position (out of 26).
    I'm normally a 'middle of the road' person when it comes to rebound & compression settings but not on the Quad bikes.
    Hope this helps.

Lance
    It's been a couple years since my test ride on the XC Quad (Mount Vision). I'm so impressed with the Terra Quad (Wolf Ridge) that I think the Marin tech must not have set up the Mount Vision correctly for me two years ago. I need another test ride.

I've always found that slower rebound was firmer riding, but too fast was softer in bumps but less stable (bouncy). There's a balance for each rider's position on the bike and preference.

- ray

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Don't feel bad, I've owned my MV for several motnhs now and am still tweaking...and I'm not even that particular with settings.

I would recommend another ride if possible and playing with the rebound. Also I found I was running 5-10 psi too much in the rear shock as well.

Lance

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by derby
    It's been a couple years since my test ride on the XC Quad (Mount Vision). I'm so impressed with the Terra Quad (Wolf Ridge) that I think the Marin tech must not have set up the Mount Vision correctly for me two years ago. I need another test ride.

I've always found that slower rebound was firmer riding, but too fast was softer in bumps but less stable (bouncy). There's a balance for each rider's position on the bike and preference.

- ray
    traditional xc shock rebound and compression is whacked; my Swinger 3-way included.

independent adjustments are needed in a compact and lightweight package.
    my motorcycle friends always rag on my latest/greatest mtb suspension when they realize fiddling with the compression effects the rebound and vice versa.

dh bikes are more like motorcycles in this aspect, right?

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Lance, any word from the local shop about the 04 frame?

The Ancient One
    I prefer the Mt. Vision quad design over the TARA. For some reason Whyte decided to build much more anti-squat into the slightly longer travel adjustable version. More than you need in my opinion.

A bike I would like to try is the Whyte bike, available only in England I think, with its linkage front end.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    DanK,
    No luck on a frameset only. I did see where Adrenaline Bikes was offering for $599.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Lance, any word from the local shop about the 04 frame?
    BTW,
    Marin was sold out and only had one MV Pro complete bike.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Lance
    DanK,
    No luck on a frameset only. I did see where Adrenaline Bikes was offering for $599.
    Thanks for the lead!

mtbr member
    May 2004

Just oredered one yesterday

Marin still has the frames left and Adrenalin bikes can get them for 599. Just got mine yesterday, seems like about the best deal out there for a good xc bike. At this price it is at least worth a try. The only other thing close in terms of deal would be the Supergo turner burner for 950, although I got my Marin frame, Chris king headset, and new xt front derailleur all shipped for 200 less than the turner frame alone. I am really looking forward to building up and testing out, will let everyone know what I think.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by joelkamp
    Marin still has the frames left and Adrenalin bikes can get them for 599. Just got mine yesterday, seems like about the best deal out there for a good xc bike. At this price it is at least worth a try. The only other thing close in terms of deal would be the Supergo turner burner for 950, although I got my Marin frame, Chris king headset, and new xt front derailleur all shipped for 200 less than the turner frame alone. I am really looking forward to building up and testing out, will let everyone know what I think.
    I called and Adrenaline said they did not have them in stock, but I guess I did not ask if they could order one.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    That's what I was told at first too, they called Marin and I guess some frames are still left. They said it should be 2-3 days from Marin and then standard ground shipping from there. Basically for the price of a used frame you get a brand new one with warranty (life time on the bearings). The frame comes with the pro pedal shock, curious to how it will work with the frame as the frame in theory is a fairly stable platform already.

Lance does your MV have the pro pedal fox, also any set-up lessons learned would be appreciated. What type of maintenance do you do on the pivots? I am also a Missouri rider and felt that this would be about the perfect amount of spring for most of the local trials, I hope I am right. Also I have yet to see another Marin out this way so it should be a unique bike on the trials.

Cheers

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    That's what I was told at first too, they called Marin and I guess some frames are still left. They said it should be 2-3 days from Marin and then standard ground shipping from there. Basically for the price of a used frame you get a brand new one with warranty (life time on the bearings). The frame comes with the pro pedal shock, curious to how it will work with the frame as the frame in theory is a fairly stable platform already.

Lance does your MV have the pro pedal fox, also any set-up lessons learned would be appreciated. What type of maintenance do you do on the pivots? I am also a Missouri rider and felt that this would be about the perfect amount of spring for most of the local trials, I hope I am right. Also I have yet to see another Marin out this way so it should be a unique bike on the trials.

Cheers
    I did not know the 04 had pro pedal, and thought the 05 was coming out with the RP3. Your $599 frame is an 04, right? I believe Lance has a non pro pedal Fox Float RL and I believe he rides an 04 Mount Vision and is ordering an 04 Mount Vision Pro; forgive me for speaking for him, and if I am incorrect. I believe Lance and many others feel pro pedal is not necessary on this frame.

Here is what he wrote in another Marin related post: I'm not big on stable platform shocks for the very reason you mentioned...Harsh small bump compliance. The Quad-Link will not bob while climbing even when hammering the pedals so I feel it's a waste. (end quote)

Again, the only hangup I have with the frame is the ridiculous water bottle mount because I do not like hydration packs (Lance suggested a seatpost mounted carrier). You can be sure I'm calling Marin tomorrow! Oh, I just found the Marin frame $599 deal on Adrenaline bikes. I could not find it earlier. I see they are charging a ridiculous $25 to ship!
    Last edited by danK; 10-11-2004 at 09:28 PM. Reason: more info

mtbr member
    May 2004
    It is an 04 and I don't believe that it is the RP3 that it comes with, would be nice though if it was. I think they may have added the pro pedal to the late 04 model. Not really sure, please let me know what Marin says about the issue. I figure for the for the price I can always trade out the shock later or consider the option to get the shock "Pushed" which so many have talked about. Besides for having the ability to adjust the Pro Pedal on the 05 what are the major differences betweeb the 04 pro pedal and 05 RP3 platform?

Note that the 04 is has a slightly adjusted geometry (over 03) that allows it to run better with 100mm forks which shold make it a descent trail bike.

As for the water bottle thing, I have never gotten use to riding with one so this was not a concern for me. I use a small camel pack for races and find it to work best for me.
    Last edited by joelkamp; 10-12-2004 at 11:25 AM.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Guys,
    Sorry I've been offline so long...

My MV has a ProPedal rear shock. It is non-adjustable. I've read where it is custom valved for Marin whatever that means. Also, it is NON high-volume. I've spoke with Marin about upgrading the rear shock to the high-volume sleeve, which I did to a Superlight. Marin advises against it, but I can't remember the exact reason why.

Hey Fellow Missouri rider, where are you located? I'm in St. Joseph (north of KC about 45 miles). It is a cool feeling knowing you've got a bike that unique. I do a group ride at least once a week and there's 6-10 guys riding brand new Stumpjumpers or Epics, mostly the same color even. Looks like some underground movement.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

New question here. Joelkamp

Which exact frame did you get? Does it include a rear shock remote lockout?

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Interested to know if you will get http://www.adrenalinebikes.com/Image...00xc-frame.jpg from the Adrenaline site or http://www.marinbikes.com/html/spec_vision.html from Marin's 04 site.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

F100-xc

Interested to know if you will get http://www.adrenalinebikes.com/Image...00xc-frame.jpg from the Adrenaline site or http://www.marinbikes.com/html/spec_vision.html from Marin's 04 site.
    The pic is of a F100-XC frameset off Marin's UK site, www.marin.co.uk. Interesting to know if this is what will actually be shipped.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    I assume the pic on the adreniline site is just an example (that is how most of their pics are). It should be the 2004 mv pro frame set with the fox pro pedal rear shock with lock out. I am not sure if it has the remote lock out, I did not ask and am not sure I really care either way. When I asked yesterday they said it was the MV pro frame, however the website just says MV. Again not sure I really care because the only difference between the MV pro and MV is a red vs. blue marking on the frame (I would perfer the red marks due to the colors of some of my componets, but this is a picky detail) and addition of the word pro on the lable.

Lance I am on the other side of the state in St. Louis. Out here we have a lot of trek fuels, Giant NRS, and spcialized stuff. I have yet to see another Marin.

The first mt. bike I rode was a signle piviot marin from like 5-6 years back which I really liked, looking foward to getting back on a Marin.

Lance what are some good rides out in western Missouri and agian any setup lessons learnd on the bike would be helpful

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Crap, just called Marin and they are out of the MV frames.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    DanK

Maybe try adreniline again, maybe the bought all the remaining frames. Other wise I hope they got my order in on time, like I said I dont get mine probably for like 10 days.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast