mtbr member
    Jul 2008

His and her bikes for 2 noobs

Hey all, I have a "spend my money" question for everyone. My wife and I are looking to start trail riding and neither of us have bikes. I think we'd like to spend between about $1500 and $2000 to get us both up and going (helmets, shoes, and peddles included ... maybe). Anyway, there are two worthwhile facts to know:

1. I am a 6'3" 230 lb guy who is concerned about my weight on a bike. I am in the process of losing weight, but don't expect to get under 205-210.

2. We have a GT iDrive team frame with pretty much all of the components to go along with it except a fork (it is completely disassembled, a few years old, but in pretty good condition). I am not sure if it would work out for a guy of my weight, but my wife would be happy to use it if we throw a fork on it and get it assembled by someone with a clue (not us).

So anyway, I guess my two questions are:

How would you go about getting the iDrive up and going and how much would you expect to spend doing that?

and

Should I only be considering clydesdale type bikes for myself, and if so, which should I be looking at if I really want a bike I will be happy with for my first couple years?

Thanks a ton,

Reed

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    I cant comment on hom much it would cost to assemble the GT but as far as what bike you should buy for your size, When I started riding about a year and a half ago I weighed 326 lbs. I bought a Trek 4500 and have been riding it ever since with no problems.

Single(Pivot)and Happy
    Your GT iDrive Team bike is a full blown XC race bike, with XC race geometry. Not as comfortable as a trail bike.

Do some research on a few models, come back and post the specs, and we can offer opinions.

Let me say this up front: When comparing different bikes, focus on the frames, forks, and wheelset. If brand X has a model A2 for $600, and a model A1 for $750, you will find that usually, you will get a better fork, lighter, stronger wheelset, ALONG with an upgraded drivetrain. If you purchase model A2, you will find it will cost you over $300-$400 to upgrade A2 to A1 specs.
    The suspension of your bike sucks if it's different than mine. Really. It sucks. Big time.

MTBR Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Boulder Pilot
    Let me say this up front: When comparing different bikes, focus on the frames, forks, and wheelset. If brand X has a model A2 for $600, and a model A1 for $750, you will find that usually, you will get a better fork, lighter, stronger wheelset, ALONG with an upgraded drivetrain. If you purchase model A2, you will find it will cost you over $300-$400 to upgrade A2 to A1 specs.
    This needs to be in a sticky...