Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Here goes nothing...need some help :)

723 views 14 replies 8 participants last post by  jeremy5000 
#1 ·
Here goes nothing, I am VERY new to cycling. I want to do it for 2 main reasons, Health/weight loss and FUN. Currently I am a stay at home dad and have 2 hours in the morning and multiple at night for riding during the week and anytime on weekends. So basically i sit around most of the day which is why i came to the realization that i need to get off my couch or chair and exercise more than chasing my kids or dog. Any help will be greatly appreciated as i know NOTHING except how to ride a bike :)

1) Your budget. Trying to keep it inexpensive at first somewhere in the neighborhood of 400.00 would be nice to start out on.

2) What bikes, if any, are you already considering? http://pvbikeshop.com/itemdetails.cfm?libid=48414

http://bikeway.com/itemdetails.cfm?libid=47824#ReviewHeader

3) What type of riding do you intend to do? I would say 95% Paved paths and streets.

4) Do you have a preference over a hardtail or full suspension? Not really just noticed that hardtails are more in my price range at the moment.

5) Age, weight and height. 28, 365-370, 6'4''

6) What sources will you consider buying from? Local bike shops both are on the links above. I would consider online as long as i knew what to look for :) Craigslist and ebay all those kinds of methods would be acceptable as well.

7) Do you want people to offer you alternative suggestions to issues such as budget, bikes already considered, and sources? Absolutely all suggestions will be considered i value the opinions of those of you on this forum.

Thanks to all that post advice for me!

See less See more
#2 ·
for your budget its a definate hardtail if you want anything remotely decent.

I've had good luck with the trek's, my current ride is a 4300 disc. But thats much more off road, if your looking for pavement riding for most of the time you may not want a mountain bike at all.

#4 ·
It doesn't sound to me like you really would be best served by a mountain bike. My boss is a clyde, very similar in size and weight to you, he has a more upmarket version of this:

http://www.konaworld.com/09_dew_u.cfm

But the frames are the same, and the components are about what you expect on a bike in that price range, which is to say that they will work fine, and should only need upgrading when they break, which could be a while.

It's not specifically listed as a clyde bike, but the big frame sizes are beefy.

Suspension forks are overrated for anything but trail riding, IMO.

David B.

#5 ·
disagree on one point...

a rider that is 370 lb. needs more than some dinky little rim/rubber erasers to stop, especially if it's wet. Discs offer a modicum of safety and control for beginners in any conditions, and can easily handle the Clyde rider in a panic stop if required.

jc

#6 ·
JimC. said:
a rider that is 370 lb. needs more than some dinky little rim/rubber erasers to stop, especially if it's wet. Discs offer a modicum of safety and control for beginners in any conditions, and can easily handle the Clyde rider in a panic stop if required.

jc
But most riders stay inside on rainy days anyway. Under most conditions rim brakes are suitable for any and all riders -- and cost less.

#7 ·
Thank you all so much for your opinions/suggestions. I am going to look more closely at the Kona Dew it looks like a nice bike.

I am headed to my LBS to do some test rides as well. They dont offer Kona but ill take a look at what they do offer just incase. As far as upgrades I am perfectly content with buying something that could use some upgrades when things go on it. Other than Kona are there any brands that are known for having decent frames/rims to support my weight? i have seen/read some things with people my size and bigger on some specialized hardrocks any opinions?

#8 ·
TabulaRasa said:
Thank you all so much for your opinions/suggestions. I am going to look more closely at the Kona Dew it looks like a nice bike.

I am headed to my LBS to do some test rides as well. They dont offer Kona but ill take a look at what they do offer just incase. As far as upgrades I am perfectly content with buying something that could use some upgrades when things go on it. Other than Kona are there any brands that are known for having decent frames/rims to support my weight? i have seen/read some things with people my size and bigger on some specialized hardrocks any opinions?
The Specialized Globe is similar to the Dew, but doesn't even have the disk brake option. My boss had it as his last bike and decided he wanted disks, so he got the Dew Deluxe, which has disks. Of course, most rainy days he gets his wife to drive him to work.

David B.

#9 ·
you missed the point

jyeager said:
But most riders stay inside on rainy days anyway. Under most conditions rim brakes are suitable for any and all riders -- and cost less.
VBrakes are designed for dry weather & ~160 lb riders; yes they will handle more, but 370 lb is a lot more than design standards. It is beyond their capability in wet or panic-stop situations. So no, they are not suitable for any and all riders, sorry.

(where I live, and ride, nobody has used rim brakes since about 2001; all use discs.)

Jim

#10 ·
JimC. said:
VBrakes are designed for dry weather & ~160 lb riders; yes they will handle more, but 370 lb is a lot more than design standards. It is beyond their capability in wet or panic-stop situations. So no, they are not suitable for any and all riders, sorry.

(where I live, and ride, nobody has used rim brakes since about 2001; all use discs.)

Jim
My boss weighs about that and never had any problem with his rim brakes on his Specialized Globe in dry conditions. He went to disks for wet conditions (we're having rainy season instead of summer this year in New England).

Were their no clydes before disks came to bicycles? Also, keep in mind the OP is really talking about road and a little bit of dirt, sounds to me like very little of what most would call mountain biking. Lastly, any $400ish bikes disk brakes aren't likely to be any better. It doesn't really do the OP any good to tell him how good the brakes on an $1100 bike would be, when his budget isn't likely to go that high.

To the OP, IMO, don't worry too much about the hype here, people tend to get caught up in thinking only the newest is good. Try a bunch of bikes at your LBS and see what YOU think. Try the brakes too, see how they stop you. Hey, before you know it you'll weigh a little bit less and whatever brakes you have will stop you a little bit better. Get something, have fun, and ride.

David B.

#11 ·
Ah, give me a break...

davidbeinct said:
My boss weighs about that and never had any problem with his rim brakes on his Specialized Globe in dry conditions. He went to disks for wet conditions (we're having rainy season instead of summer this year in New England).

Were their no Clydes before disks came to bicycles?

• There were no disc brakes for bikes (mass market) until ~ 1999, obviously Clydes existed before then, your question is invalid.

Also, keep in mind the OP is really talking about road and a little bit of dirt, sounds to me like very little of what most would call mountain biking. Lastly, any $400ish bikes disk brakes aren't likely to be any better. It doesn't really do the OP any good to tell him how good the brakes on an $1100 bike would be, when his budget isn't likely to go that high.

• The OP asked for suggestions "Absolutely all suggestions will be considered i value the opinions of those of you on this forum.

To the OP, IMO, don't worry too much about the hype here, people tend to get caught up in thinking only the newest is good. Try a bunch of bikes at your LBS and see what YOU think. Try the brakes too, see how they stop you. Hey, before you know it you'll weigh a little bit less and whatever brakes you have will stop you a little bit better. Get something, have fun, and ride.

• Nobody here is caught up in hype, regardless of your suggestion that some are.
QUOTE]

Jim

#12 ·
JimC. said:
  • There were no disc brakes for bikes (mass market) until ~ 1999, obviously Clydes existed before then, your question is invalid.

Jim
I'm not sure how my question is invalid. If clydes were riding bikes before disks were available for bikes, then how are rim brakes suddenly no longer any good for clydes? Did they work before, but all of a sudden stopped working? I have seen my boss, he is huge, stopping his rim braked Globe, so I know they can work for clydes. I think the OP would do better to buy a bike he can afford with a decent spec than to get hung up on one part. Sure he wants all input, but if he says his budget is around $400, showing him $1100 bikes isn't really that helpful.

David B.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.