mtbr member
    Feb 2013

Help-what frame size?

I have started riding again and I am looking at a new bike and have fallen in love with a cube acid 2012 HT as it has great spec for the price. Problem is I seem to be between sizes for this frame. Not sure weather to go for 18" or 20".
    I am 181cm and 82kgs and a 32" inside leg. I currently ride an ancient rigid 21" but realise geometry has changed a lot since I got my trusty old steer.
    -On the 20" I feel I have to stretch to the bars just a bit, and a man in the LBS said if I moved the seat forward a bit on the post that would fix the problem, but the other guy said this would throw off my balance on the bike!
    -on the 18" It feels just a bit small but is fine with the seat up a fair bit, and the other guy in the LBS said he would go small as its more nimble!!
    Great one says go big, one says go small, in reality it seems I am a 19".
    Both feel fine to ride but its hard to tell around a carpark.
    Any thought or experiences?

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    I am no expert but I think its a personal preference. I agree with the second guy in that I will always go a little bit smaller because I feel it is easier for me to throw the bike around through the tight spots. If you are set on having that middle size though then the only option would be to keep looking for a bike with more options.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Cube make very short bikes! So I would suggest you to go for the larger frame but with a shorter stem! Longer TT with shorter stem is way better then the opposite.

And be aware that you should not play around with setback in order to adjust your reach and overall feel of the bike. The setback should only be adjusted to the geometry of your legs to fit over the cranks!

T.W.O.
    If you are doing more XC the bigger one would be ok, but for trail riding I'd go with the smaller one every time. I own a few bikes of the same model, in small and med, I like the small more than the med, though both fit me great.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    What stem length is on the 20". Could be a case of spec'ing a slightly shorter stema nd maybe wider bars to compensate and that could do the job.

Personally I'd go with the 20"...

Cheers

Danny B

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Seems to be personal opinion that wins this one so I have gone for the smaller frame as it just feels better, pick it up next week so will let you know