Results 1 to 3 of 3
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    2

    Help w/ Selection please

    Hello all,

    Although I have been mountain biking for a while, I am a new-bee when it comes to knowledge of components, buying bikes, etc. I had an old bike that was donated to me years ago when a friend of mine decided to upgrade his. I rode that bike to the ground, and although I have taken a bit of time off, I am ready to get back in the game and feel its time I get a new bike. My old bike was a Trek and I was pretty happy with it and therefore am looking at Trek and their Gary Fisher lines but am open to other suggestions as well.

    Here's the info:

    1) I would like to keep my spending to about 500-600 but can go a little higher if it's really going to make a significant difference in the long run.

    2) Here are the bikes I am looking at:

    - 2010 Gary Fisher Marlin
    http://revolutioncycles.com/product/...in-60973-1.htm


    - 2011 TreK Tarpon
    http://spokesetc.com/product/11-trek...on-72191-1.htm

    - 2011 Trek / Gary Fisher Advance
    http://spokesetc.com/product/11-trek...on-72192-1.htm

    - 2011 Trek 3900 Disc
    http://spokesetc.com/product/11-trek...sc-71543-1.htm


    - 2010 Trek 4300
    http://revolutioncycles.com/product/...-4300-8764.htm


    I really like the GF Marlin, based on the reviews that I have read, but its a little bit over my budget and I am not really sure how different it is, if any, from the others I've listed. They all look pretty similiar, components seem similiar, but then again I don't know. What do you guys think?

    3) My riding style: I do a bit of combination pavement / gravel / off road biking. I ride on a paved trail that is very hilly (mostly uphill) about 50 - 60% of the time (cardio workouts). The other 40% is spent going over dirt trails in the woods at some local regional parks (for fun). Nothing too technical, but I do get some air or ride over tree logs every now and then (less than 10% of the time).

    4) I prefer a hardtail bike over a full suspension

    5) I am 34 years old, 6'1, and about 240lbs, but should be down to 210 lbs soon, which is my usual weight.

    6) Any source, currently looking at LBS, used online, craigslist etc.

    7) Open to all suggestions,


    Thanks, I appreciate any and all suggestions...


    Nabeel

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation: MoabiSlim's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    303
    Hi there friend,

    If I were you, I'd go with GT because they have a wider selection within your budget for brand new bikes. If I'd go with GT, I'd opt for an Avalanche 3 or a Karakoram 3, all within your budget. Alternatively, you could go with a Jamis Durango I. In each case, you'll be dealing with a LBS where you'll have a warranty and access to service.

    All of these Hardtails have great reviews and have been field tested. Of course, the Treks are great bikes too! I love 'em all!

    Good Luck!

    Here they all are!


    Help w/ Selection please-11_durango1_sl.jpg

    The Jamis Durango I

    Help w/ Selection please-gt.jpg

    The GT Karakoram 3.0

    Help w/ Selection please-g_gt.jpg

    The GT Avalanche 3.0
    Last edited by MoabiSlim; 05-31-2011 at 12:59 AM.
    God gave birds, wings to fly .... He gave us, Jamis!

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    2
    Quote Originally Posted by MoabiSlim View Post
    Hi there friend,

    If I were you, I'd go with GT because they have a wider selection within your budget for brand new bikes. If I'd go with GT, I'd opt for an Avalanche 3 or a Karakoram 3, all within your budget. Alternatively, you could go with a Jamis Durango I. In each case, you'll be dealing with a LBS where you'll have a warranty and access to service.

    All of these Hardtails have great reviews and have been field tested.

    Good Luck!

    Here they are!

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	A-gT.jpg 
Views:	438 
Size:	58.0 KB 
ID:	616967

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	A-11_durango1_sl.jpg 
Views:	160 
Size:	85.6 KB 
ID:	616968

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	A-g_GT.jpg 
Views:	198 
Size:	82.9 KB 
ID:	616969
    Thanks MoabiSlim,

    I will look at those links and try and test drive one soon, I will let you know how it goes.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •