I relatively new to mountain biking. I currently have a 2006 GF Wahoo that I picked up about a year ago. I have been riding pretty consistently on single track trails. It is the version with V-brakes and I wanted to upgrade to disc brakes. I am not sure that it is worth putting money into at this point. I have access to the actual disc break rotors and calipers but I will need to purchase a new rim set.

Front Fork- RockShox J1
Front derailleur - Shimano Acera
Rear derailleur- Shimano Alivio
Breaks- Tektro V-Brakes (Tektro 845AL brakes)

Name:  images.jpg
Views: 297
Size:  7.5 KB

The other option I have is putting my money into a 2012 KHS alite 150 which comes complete with disc brakes. The forks seem to be comparable and front/rear derailer are a slight down grade. I can pick up this bike which has barely been ridden for $250.

Fork- SR Suntour XCT V4 100mm
Front Derailleur- Shimano Altus
Rear Derailleur- Shimano Altus
Brakes- Bengal Mechanical Disc

Help with upgrading from 2006 Gary Fisher Wahoo-12-alite-150-blk.jpg

I know both are still entry level. Is switching over to the KHS Alite 150 an upgrade at all from what I have been riding?

I do ride in all conditions including everything from dry hard pack/rocky to the rainy days with mud and water. I found the v-brakes to be difficult in the wet weather. Not sure that low end disc brakes are going to do the trick either. Any thoughts or suggestions welcome!