mtbr member
    May 2013

Help with steering links, reverse trike

Hey folks,

I want to first say hello, I am Chris from Cape Cod. I also want to apologize, I am new to this forum and I usually think it best to do a bit of mingling before asking for assistance, but I am a bit stuck and can really use a new set of eyes on this one.

I am in the process of building a reverse trike, all aluminum, 1000w electric in the back. I have the geometry of the steering figured out, but I am left with a number of options to link the steering tie rod to the actual handlebars.

I have enclosed a video describing the project and issues. Any brainstorming, thoughts or past experience would be greatly appreciated. Basically, the bike is turning out really, really well and I want to really put some thought into this steering so I can get it right the first time.

I thank you all for you time.

Need help with steering setup. - YouTube

dru
    mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    That's a bit of fabricating my friend!

As to your question, run a link right from the steerer tube to one of the bellcranks on the forks. Like you said, you'll need to fit one lower or higher than the existing one to provide clearance.

Be careful, it's a very top heavy design and those wheels will undergo significant side loading when you are turning. 1000 W is a lot of speed.

Drew
    occasional cyclist

mtbr member
    May 2013

I think I got it

Hey thanks my friend. I think I have this guy hashed out; I got a response from a buddy of mine over at the robot website who broke it down pretty clearly... Hard linkages with good ball-joint ends don't break. Complicated crap with a bunch of cables and bearings will. KISS.

I ended up going with (almost) a straight link set-up with just one bellcrank in the corner to keep the cargo area more open. So far, it is looking 100%.

Thanks for the thoughts on center of gravity, etc. These same thoughts have been going through my head as well. I should say that this guy is a grocery-getter, not a racer. The 1000w is not so much for the 65kph that everyone wants --it is hopefully so I can tow a canoe the 3 miles or so to the ponds or the beaches.

Thanks again for your help.