mtbr member
    Nov 2017

Help - removing bottom bracket pivot bushings and bearings

Hi, Searched but couldn't find anything about pulling the bushings and bearings on the bottom bracket pivot of my 2005 Rocky Mountain Element. I don't see how to do this without destroying the old bushings and bearings. Really looking for a trick here and hoping somebody here can help. There is more to this than using a bearing press ... read on.

The bb pivot bearing consists of a bushing, half of which push in from each side of the frame, and bearings. The bushing halves butt against each other midline in the frame. The entire bushing then rides within bearings. You pass the bb pivot bolt through the bushing/bearing combo to attach the chainstays.

So why am I doing this? This bike has been well ridden over the years and the trail has taken its toll on the finish. I bought it used and am slowly getting around to refurbishing it. I'd like to get it powder coated again but need to get that blasted bb pivot bearing removed. Don't want to destroy old bearings without new ones in hand and I haven't been able to source replacement bearings for the bike.

Hoping someone here has done this and has some advice about replacing the bb pivot bearing.

Big thanks! -FB

mtbr member
    Nov 2017
    BTW ... only way I know to remove those bushings would be to tap the bushings, thread in a bolt and take a slide hammer to the bolt. Not exactly the trauma free removal I am looking for. -FB

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Can you grip them with vice grips and pull them out? You might want to go to the Rocky Mountain sub forum.

Rocky Mountain - Mtbr.com
    2015 Niner Jet 9 Carbon
    2014 Focus Raven 27R
    2017 Lynskey GR250
    2016 Niner BSB
    1987 Haro RS1

mtbr member
    Nov 2017
    I reposted over in the RM forum. New to this site and didn't get down that far. Thanks for the ptr.

The bushings are kinda soft. I think if I could catch them with vice grips I'd bugger them up. No problem if I have new bushings to replace them with but a mess if I can't locate new bearings for the bike.

Thanks again!

Magically Delicious
    How about posting some GOOD photos to help us understand.
    A bad day of cycling is better than a good day at work

Work Truck - Dassault Falcon 7X

mtbr member
    Nov 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by fatboytx View Post
    I reposted over in the RM forum. New to this site and didn't get down that far. Thanks for the ptr.

The bushings are kinda soft. I think if I could catch them with vice grips I'd bugger them up. No problem if I have new bushings to replace them with but a mess if I can't locate new bearings for the bike.

Thanks again!
    Took discussion over to RM forum. I'll post pics there. -FB