mtbr member
    Oct 2011

Help me pick a 29'er frame for my wife...

My wife is a beginner mountain biker, currently using my old FS felt virtue XL (she's 5'11 so not super huge but definitely big for her).... I want to get her a frameset for winter and build it up by spring. She is a very cautious rider, and just enjoys being outside. I'm thinking a hardtail or short travel FS. Probably most interested in aluminum, but wouldn't rule out carbon if the price is right. Weight probably being more important than strength. Looking to spend around $800 on the frameset. Recommendations? Looking for something she can grow into.. her last mountain bike was a trek she bought when she was 16 (she's in her late 20s now).
    Front Range, Colorado
    Yeti SB95c
    Yeti ARC c
    9:zero:7 190mm

mtbr member
    My wife is shorter 5/7 but otherwise pretty similar, will track thread.
    of course my answer to your ? is you can probably get a whole bike with frame you want, then sell off the stuff you dont like and come out ahead if you wanted to hassle with that. For her, maybe those component selection isnt so important as it is to you - at least thats the way it is with my wife. I have a nice home theater sounds system I built up, and she says a boom box woudl be fine with her LOL

mtbr member
    Found this while browsing fleabay, I have no association just thought back to your post as I saw the auction.

Intense Spider 29 Frame LG Barely Ridden Fantastic Shape | eBay

From the pictures it looks like it is in pretty nice shape. The image showing the "29" on the frame is right at the bottom bracket and looks pretty clean. I have the same frameset and mine has caught rocks there and has a few chew marks both on the frame and on the connecting link in the left side of the pic. Cool blue color also, definitely not one of their standard options.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    The new Trek Superfly carbon 9.6-9.8 is not offered in the US as a frameset. I was talking to representative for mtb product manager John Riley today about this problem.
    She said a frameset is offered in Europe and South America. Those areas have more of a tradition of building up bikes then we do in the US.
    At least that's their thinking.
    So no frameset is offered for our market. I demoed this bike and the damping and geo make it a bike I want to have with my own build. If more riders ask for it they could change their product mix.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013

Help me pick a 29'er frame for my wife...

Check out the Soma Juice- XC geometry; steel frame- Tange Prestige front triangle for a smooth ride; low low stand over; 44mm headtube; sliding dropouts and an awesome price (~$500).
    Last edited by Vic-20; 12-15-2013 at 09:22 PM.

turtles make me hot
    My wife is 5'7". I built her a medium 2012 Salsa Spearfish. Built it reasonably light for a reasonable budget. it's her first FS and first 29er.
    She loves it.
    I think I paid 600 for the frame. Now that Salsa's making them with the pivot in the rear, the single pivot frames will probably start showing up cheaper, freeing up money for parts.
    I like turtles

Trail Ninja
    How about a Titus Rockstar 29? Comes in a nice blue and white color and is an US made, designer name brand!

Titus Rockstar 29er Frame - Version 2