mtbr member
    May 2011

Caution;  Merge;  Workers Ahead! Help me identify this Specialized Rockhopper

Hello. I picked this bike up off Craigslist. It is a 17" 21 speed Specialized Rockhopper. Says Direct A1 Drive Double Butted Cro-Mo on it. I am having a hell of a time identifying the model year. Any help is appreciated. Upgrade suggestions also welcome.

Specialized Rockhopper

local trails rider
    Late 80s - early 90s.

If everything is working, just ride it. If not, fix it first.

I don't think I'd want to use the cages and straps on the pedals for rocky trails.

And don't even think about putting a suspension fork on it.

"it IS possible that you are faster or slower than anybody else who is having at least as much if not more or less fun"

It's about showing up.
    Nice find of a quality bike. 1" steerer,quill stem, rigid fork, recreational level componentry. I call 1994.

Use it as is with minimal changes. The head tube angle and general geometry are not set up to handle a suspension fork. Further you would have to change the headset to a 1.25" as suspension forks with 1" steerers are rare as hensteeth. You would also need a new stem. Think in terms of saving $250-$350.

The Canti brakes are more than adequate though I might put fresh pads on as the orignals might have hardened with age. Take some steel wool or a scotchbright pad to the rim's braking surface to clean them. Braking should improve. Changing to V-brakes is a simple option and must include levers as well. Avid v-brakes and levers can be had for less than $$70. Add $10 for new cables and housings. Installation? $25 at a shop....maybe.

The bike has seen modest use and looks to be in good shape. Lube and adjust the components as a bike of this age will ahve lubrication which has hardened or dried out.

Really, though, there is no need to do anything but check if for good operation and lubrication, pump up the tires and go ride.

Use up the tires until you need new ones.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Thanks for the responses, both of you.

Berkley Mike, that is the kind of info I was looking for. I had searched Bikepedia/Google and didn't find any exact matches, but 1994-1997 looked about right. I gave $150 and feel I may have overpaid a bit, but the bike is in very good shape for it's age so I'm not too worried about it.

mtbr member
    Nope, it is closer to a 1995 rockhopper with a 1 1/8 headtube. Had that exact bike and rode the crap out of it. Heck, I put slicks on it and climbed Col du Tourmalet. Ride it as is or get a 80mm fork on e-bay - will not terribly effect the ride.

Also, does it still have the original tires? If they are in good condition, you can get some good money for them on e-bay!

Former Bike Wrench
    Quote Originally Posted by Vespasianus
    Nope, it is closer to a 1995 rockhopper with a 1 1/8 headtube. Had that exact bike and rode the crap out of it. Heck, I put slicks on it and climbed Col du Tourmalet. Ride it as is or get a 80mm fork on e-bay - will not terribly effect the ride.

Also, does it still have the original tires? If they are in good condition, you can get some good money for them on e-bay!

A1 Rockhoppers didn't even exist until 1995, this appears to be a 1996 Rockhopper A1 and as mentioned above is a 1 1/8" headtube (though threaded) so it would be upgradeable. However A1 is nothing more than 6000 series alloy and it is strait gage at that, similar (or worse) than frames going for <$100 from online retailers.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnbiker72

A1 Rockhoppers didn't even exist until 1995, this appears to be a 1996 Rockhopper A1 and as mentioned above is a 1 1/8" headtube (though threaded) so it would be upgradeable. However A1 is nothing more than 6000 series alloy and it is strait gage at that, similar (or worse) than frames going for <$100 from online retailers.

Missed that. They made a cromo version in 1995 that had the same color scheme. Loved that bike.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    That is a 1996 Rockhopper. What is cool is I have every Specialized catalog since 1990.

over researcher
    Quote Originally Posted by cory320 View Post
    That is a 1996 Rockhopper. What is cool is I have every Specialized catalog since 1990.
    Then I will be getting a hold of you later on. I've got a lead on a cromoly Rockhopper with the quil stem. It's either a '95 or '96. If it's the right size, I'll be picking it up on Saturday.

I bought my wife a brand new '97 A1 in 13.5" and the Cinammon Burnt Orange color, or whatever it is called. We were dating at the time. Absolutely beautiful bike and all original. No, she didn't ride it much.

I'm still upset for selling my first mountain bike, a 1993 Rockhopper Comp.

mtbr member

please help me identify this vintage rockhopper

Hi folks. I have been riding local trails solo for years. I am now cruising with my wife and kids. My kids are on recent Specialized Hotrock 20's and I needed some all around adult bikes on a limited budget. I grabbed a couple of sweet 'vintage' Specialized fully rigid bikes on Los Angeles Craigslist this week. My wife's is a Hardrock and mine is this Cinnamon Rockhopper. (under $300 for both) Can you please direct me to the model year and stats on this bike?
    Thanks so much and have a great day,
    scott
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Help me identify this Specialized Rockhopper-rkhopper_1.jpg  

Help me identify this Specialized Rockhopper-rkhopper_4.jpg  

Help me identify this Specialized Rockhopper-rkhopper_3.jpg  

Help me identify this Specialized Rockhopper-rkhopper_2.jpg  

Former Bike Wrench
    see the post just above yours...1997

mtbr member
    Cool...You think mine is a 97 A1 as well?
    Thnks

over researcher
    Quote Originally Posted by sklein View Post
    Cool...You think mine is a 97 A1 as well?
    Thnks
    Yep, that's a '97. I didn't analyze the pics too much, but it looks to be in very good shape.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Agreed

mtbr member
    It's very sweet & pretty. I bought a shorter specialized stem w/ a rise & it's much much better now...The hand position was WAY too far forward before.
    Thank for all your help.