Waingo...where is he??

Help me decide! '07 Cannondale Rush Lefty FS vs. '11 Trek Marlin 29er (Gary Fisher)

I just sold my Trek 4 series looking to step up to something a little more advanced. I ride mainly singletrack trails, usually no more than 15 miles at a time. Either of the bikes above would be a step up but I dont know alot about them.

The Cannondale is in great condition. Its full suspension and Ive never ridden one before but am not opposed to it. The Trek is practically brand new and a 29er. Same thing...never tried a 29er before.

The Cannondale is gonna cost me about 400 more then the Trek but it's still within my budget. Is it worth buying an older bike that seems to have more than a new one that seems to have less?

Thoughts? I'll be buying it tomorrow so if you have some insight help me out ASAP!! =) Thanks!

No good in rock gardens..
    Can you test ride them both?
    My Cannondale Lefty keeps failing....

Waingo...where is he??
    Quote Originally Posted by Sideknob
    Can you test ride them both?
    no, each is being sold by people who live a couple hours away...in opposite directions

im sure ill like both of them...just wondering if one is way better than the other

I have an '08 Rush and really like it - having come off a succession of light HT's there was no adapting required to the way the bike rode. I find the suspension perfect for trail and XC riding, I also like the fact that the bike has only two large bearings that are very easy to service.

Potential issues - cable rub on the downtube where the rear derailleur cable exits the swingarm and connects to the downtube. (this was more a problem on carbon ones). And also the Lefty isn't well supported with spares if it's more than a year or two old.

T.W.O.
    If both bikes fit you, I would go with Rush.

Waingo...where is he??
    i bought the rush....sweet bike. the rear shock needs air as it sags now with no real rebound. ive never had a FS bike before so its all new to me. ill prob take it in for a basic tune up to air up the rear shock and catch any other little things that need tweaked.

Yes, that's fonetic
    Quote Originally Posted by Narco
    i bought the rush....sweet bike. the rear shock needs air as it sags now with no real rebound. ive never had a FS bike before so its all new to me. ill prob take it in for a basic tune up to air up the rear shock and catch any other little things that need tweaked.
    Buy a shock pump and use the settings on the Cannondale site here and here.

mtbr member
    Post some pictures!

Might want to get that Lefty serviced too, depends on use.

Waingo...where is he??
    you read my mind. its at my LBS getting looked over now. pics as soon as I get it back. we got 60* weather coming this weekend too!

My Lefty shat itself yesterday. 14 months old - lockout and rebound no longer working. Has just gone into the LBS and I bloody well hope it's going to be OK. First fork to ever do anything like this, for me anyway.

Waingo...where is he??
    just got it back from a tune up...its still a little dirty. itll be a lot of dirty come tomorrow afternoon =)