mtbr member
    Sep 2009

Help me blow a paycheck

For urban commuting and weekend single tracking in the Washington, DC region, I'm planning to finally replace my 1994 Giant Yukon (r.i.p.)

Local shops have the following, each with disc brakes and front suspension (can't recall which had lock-out shocks):

Trek 6000 - $700
    Kona Blast - $700
    Gary Fisher Marlin - $650
    Cannondale F7 - $650
    Giant Yukon - $650
    Specialized Hardrock Sport - $580
    Trek 4300 - $550

What's the best bang for the buck? Rank 'em? Top 3?

Thanks, cheers.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    I kinda like the GF best, altho I wish it had disks. Otherwise I think it has the most solid parts spec. Really any of those will do what you're asking, make sure whatever you go with fits you.

David B.

mtbr member
    I wish people would post links to the bikes so I wouldn't have too search for every bike so I can tell you which one is best. Typically bikes in the same price range are just about the same. I would first find the bike that fits you the best. Shoot for disc brakes, or a bike that has disc brake tabs on the frame and fork so you can upgrade later.
    Big Foot Blue KHS XC704r

Rod
    Endorphin Junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by Vtolds
    I wish people would post links to the bikes so I wouldn't have too search for every bike so I can tell you which one is best. Typically bikes in the same price range are just about the same. I would first find the bike that fits you the best. Shoot for disc brakes, or a bike that has disc brake tabs on the frame and fork so you can upgrade later.
    I completely agree with Vtolds. Links would have been nice. All bikes in this price range are going to be extremely similar and fit should be the most important issue. Disc brakes are nice, but if the bike doesn't have them then try to find a bike that has hubs that can accept a rotor and disc brake mounts. Sometimes you can find a better part spec by avoiding disc brakes.

I Tried Them ALL... Moderator
    Ride 'em all with an open mind...then DECIDE. Your paycheck will be well-blown!

Not to sound partial- but the Cannondale frame can be upgraded to be a very light bike.

Have fun!
    "The mind will quit....well before the body does"

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    I agree with Zachariah. Ride them all. Decide which one feels best to you.