mtbr member
    May 2013

Help on finding a frame that fits me. (LLONG TT Possibly 650b)

Hi

I'm a Old schooler getting back on the horse. Thing is I'm build a little funny with short legs and a big torso. I'm 5'7 with a 29 inseam.

I recently had a custom road bike made for me it ended up being a 49.5 seat tube with a 56.5 effective TT and a 110 CM stem. To give a idea of what fits.

I'm looking for a Steele cross country frame. I'm aware of the new aggressive CC trends of long top tubes = short stems and I love this because I'll end with a slightly longer (still normalish) stem. Going as longish as possible with in this style while hopefully not being overly built (small triangles)would be great

I'm very intrigued by the idea of the 650b wheel size but don't want to go with 29.

If a 26 fits best I'd be fine as I have years in my legs of riding them.

Thanks!
    Last edited by zootsuitbass; 06-04-2013 at 03:41 PM.

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Fishers have long TT.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Yeti also do longer top tubes. Not sure that they do a steel frame though... actually Im pretty sure they don't. I'd check em out anyway.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Have you ridden a 29er? What is your hang up with them? Niner frames have longer TT and you would fit a medium well. SIR 9's are pretty nice looking (I have the aluminum/scandium cousin, One9). I don't know much about 650b, so can't comment.

For 26", On One frames tend to have longer TT's as well. Pretty cheap, too.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    A Med niner is like a Large frame in almost any other brand's 26inch which is why the ETT seems long on them. how would he fit a medium niner well? Med niners fit people from about 5'9 - 6ft+ but of course this is a generalization. However, using the standover height for their medium frames I can tell you that he'd be cutting it very close to clearing the TT. Not the end of the world but not having standover clearance can certainly pose an issue for some people. 29ers are not for everyone, especially a majority of short people. have a look at their geo & fit charts: E.M.D. 9

T.W.O.
    Quote Originally Posted by mnigro View Post
    Yeti also do longer top tubes. Not sure that they do a steel frame though... actually Im pretty sure they don't. I'd check em out anyway.
    Yeah, Yeti is definitely bigger and longer than others. A smaller Yeti feels bigger than a Med Ibis or Santa Cruz.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Thanks guys,,, in Carbon that Yeti Arc C looks like a real contender. 22.5 effective TT and 27.7 stand over. I wonder what size tire they get that spec with though.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    The Ritchey 650B in a 15 is tight on the stand over but has almost a 23 inch tt that looks good as well. Plus its got hat old school graphics!

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    A Med niner is like a Large frame in almost any other brand's 26inch which is why the ETT seems long on them. how would he fit a medium niner well? Med niners fit people from about 5'9 - 6ft+ but of course this is a generalization. However, using the standover height for their medium frames I can tell you that he'd be cutting it very close to clearing the TT. Not the end of the world but not having standover clearance can certainly pose an issue for some people. 29ers are not for everyone, especially a majority of short people. have a look at their geo & fit charts: E.M.D. 9
    Here is why I suggested a medium Niner: First, he does not have typical proportions, so your generalized "fitting guidelines" is thrown out. Second, he said his custom road bike had a ETT of 56.5cm. That's well within a medium Niner's ~60.0cm ETT. I happen to ride a 55.5cm road bike and a medium Niner, as well.

Oh, the standover--you can chuck that out the window. It's laughable when people start bringing that into the equation.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    I'm not going to argue with you but 3.5 cm difference between ETT is essentially the different e between a med and a large. I too was looking at his proportions.

Youre right, Having some stand over clearance is not a huge issue but having zero stand over is not ok to some people. Not me personally but to Some people...

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    I'm not going to argue with you but 3.5 cm difference between ETT is essentially the different e between a med and a large.
    ??? Road bike ETT does NOT equal MTB ETT.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    As far as stand over its a combination of a couple of things. Performance wise? Flick-ability the bike just feels bigger little more arduous,etc. Obviously on a road bike this is less important than a dirt jumper. I've dealt with this my whole life and am very aware of the trade offs. I'd like to chase best scenario.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    DB post

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Yes, but my second point is that he could just look at a large frame from almost any brand and accomplish what you are suggesting No?

Anyway, OP, Yeti bikes offer about the longest top tubes of any bike I have ridden but they still feel true to size as a complete bike. Most people just run a stem 10 to 20mm shorter than they normally ride. I dropped from a 70mm to a 60mm stem be ause the ETT on my ASR5 is about 3/4 inch longer than all my previous rides. They are definitely worth a look.