Merendon Junkie

HELP! Creaking LA BRUJA Frame!!

My ventana la bruja started creaking a while ago. The creak occurres when pedaling or standing on one pedal but not when compressing the bike through the saddle or when compressing both pedals at the same time. I though the culprit was in the bottom bracket area so I removed the crankset and bb, lubed everything up and re installed. The creak was still there.

I removed the bb and crankset and put a wooden rod through the bb tube, pushed down on one side of it and yep, it creaked. I now suspected the creak was coming from the pivots.

I applied oil to all of the pivots/articulations, creak was still there.

I put the bike on its side and laid it on a pedal, handlebar and front wheel to isolate the rear triangle from any forces, and put some pressure on the crank towards the frame, it creaked.

I did the same with the fork and isolated it, resting the bike on the rear wheel, pedal and handlebar, it creaked.

I put is upright again and put sideways pressure on the chain stays with my foot. took some force but it creaked. Did the same with the down tube in the front triangle and it creaked.

So now I think the only two possible culprits are either a cracked frame (front triangle) or the headset. Its a chris king headset btw.

I checked the frame and all of the welded joints with meticulously with a light and could not find any cracks.

This is driving me nuts!!! What do you guys think might be the source of this creak?

Thanks for your help!

mtbr member
    Did you retorque your pivots?
    You said you applied oil, but did you actually lube the entire pivot assembly and retorque it?
    Did you check your shock mount hardware?
    Check your shock spring and spring collar. Try cleaning and lubing that.
    Check your rear derailluer hanger and bolt and make sure they are tight.
    If you're running a Sram type2 rear d, those can click/creak similar to what is audible in your video.
    Lots of things to check off the list.
    Try isolating things one at a time.

mtbr member
    main pivot cups i believe are made from aluminum. Try removing the main pivot fastener and lightly grease those bearing cups.

mtbr member
    also, try a drop of oil right at the frame cable stops....kinda sounds to me like it could be cable/housing related. Sometimes those housing ferrules will make a sounds like that.

mtbr member
    How about trying a different pedal? Pedal could be loose or bad bearing in the pedal.

Merendon Junkie
    Thanks for your help guys. After trying almos everything With no succes I decided to remove all suspension cartridge bearings, put some grease on the frame cups and press them back in. The bike is now silent. The culprit appeared to be the cups in the bottom pivots. When removed, the bearing cartridge body had some rust on the outside. These were only creaking when the frame flexed and not when the suspension was compressed evenly. Thats why they creaked even when the rear wheel and rear triangle were isolated from
    any forces. So it looks like mwmtb nailed it! I am relieved it wasnt anything serious.

Cheers!
    Abel

mtbr member
    I've got a Bruja too ; )

Merendon Junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by nwmtb View Post
    I've got a Bruja too ; )
    Thats great to know! Are you still riding it? I bought mine used a few months ago on pinkbike. I am not sure what year the frame is. I found the bb to be a little on the high side but I got used to it pretty quickly. I am loving the bike now.

HELP! Creaking LA BRUJA Frame!!-la-bruja.jpg

I had a blast with it two weekends ago
    https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v=10105910409633594

Cheers