mtbr member
    Jun 2017

Help choosing between bikes please!!

Hey all,

I used to do a lot of trail riding until I broke too many bits (bikes and bones) and sold my dualies. Fast forward quite a few years and I've just taken my son's training wheels off and he's taken off like a rocket, so I'm now looking for a bike to follow him around on, but also do some XC/light trail riding myself. I'm 38 and 171cm (5'7ish) and 85kgs.

I work next to a Giant dealer who is clearing out 2017 stock 20% off to make way for 2018, and the Fathom 29er 1 seems to be exactly what I'm looking for. Air fork, pretty light for the price, decent drive train, thru axle, sexy paint job imo Not much info about these seeing as they are a new model, but I haven't seen any bad reviews. Obviously there are always going to be limitations in this price range. Unsure if I would spin out the 1x setup on the occasional road/gravel track ride though.

Other bikes I have considered, all at a similar price point are:

Trek X Cal 8 - nice, good review, but less bang for buck, only has coil sprung fork, cheaper drive train

Cannondale Trail 2 - looks really good on paper (and irl) but some bad reviews, slightly pricier than other bikes listed

Norco Charger 9.2 - probably the closest bang for buck to the Giant, I can get 12 months interest free which is handy, looks beastly,

I plan to test ride some this w/e but would really appreciate any advice, particularly on the Fathom as I've been happy with previous Giant bikes and am leaning toward that one. Note that in Oz we are mainly limited to the big brands, as the more boutique ones are hard to find.

Thanks!!

I Tried Them ALL... SuperModerator
    Giant.

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Tapatalk
    "This is a male-dominated forum... there will be lots of Testosterone sword-shaming here" ~ Kenfucius

Turns right to go left
    All things considered, I would go with the Giant.

mtbr member
    Jun 2017
    Thanks for the comments guys, I bought the Giant and after swapping out the 90mm stem for a 70mm one it handled great. Looking forward to hitting the trails after many many years

mtbr member
    Congrats! Post a pic!

mtbr member
    Jun 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by 04 F2000SL View Post
    Congrats! Post a pic!
    Thanks! I took it out for a 30 minute spin to break in the discs and managed to pick up a flat in that time Rode great except for some clicking/jumping on the second-to-largest cassette sprocket, hopefully just a derailleur adjustment needed.

Overall the bike is exactly what I'm looking for for my mix of 1/3 road, 1/3 gravel/hard-packed and 1/3 trail. I've never ridden a hard-tail on trail before through so hopefully it won't beat me up too much!

Help choosing between bikes please!!-20170616_200826.jpg

meatier showers
    Quote Originally Posted by jaginn View Post
    ... hopefully it won't beat me up too much!
    Nice bike! You have three suspension components: arms, legs and tires. There's no reason such a nice bike should beat you up. The arms and legs are all you but as for tires, may I respectfully recommend running the fattest meats that'll fit and then airing them down as low as you can without pinch flatting. You'll love that bike -- have fun!
    =sParty
    disciplesofdirt.org

We don't quit riding because we get old.
    We get old because we quit riding.

mtbr member
    Jun 2017
    Thanks for the tip Sparticus. I will be doing some road (hopefully minimal!) so don't want to go too fat on the tires, but I'm sure there's a sweet spot. Looking forward to putting some miles on it

mtbr member
    Jun 2017
    Actually, while I've got your attention... Any other upgrades you'd suggest beside meatier tires?

mtbr member
    Actually, while I've got your attention... Any other upgrades you'd suggest beside meatier tires?
    Wider bars...

Dropper post...

& full face helmet

Then you can play with the kewl kids

Sent from my kltedv using Tapatalk
    to err is human... to face plant is frickin hilarious!!

mtbr member
    Jun 2017
    Thanks, but I'm too old to hang with the kewl kids :P Dropper post would be nice, but I draw the line at full face haha

Co Springs
    Just ride it some to get the feel of it and see how it fits. Wider bars are fairly standard on newer bikes now and many come so wide they can be cut if needed but 760 to 780 seems to be common.

I think mine is a 780 and I'm happy as is. If that photo is your bike and tires, they might be fine for your part road rides and tails mix. You'll get a chance to buy different ones in time anyways so if they are working okay, you don't have to rush out and spend that money while you have good rubber to burn.
    It won't beat you up. I'm 55 and been hardtail for almost all my riding years, early on was rigid. I just bought a h/t 3 months ago. If you do feel a bit scuffed up as you get more into trails, you def can go big on tires and it will help.
    Personally, I think your level of riding will put you on the right trails and the right lines so it won't be a problem. Tire pressure is a huge variable and a few psi can make a big change.

Thats a ready-to-attack looking bike, I'm sure it'll be fun.
    In the Middle Ages, the biggest mistake was not putting on your armor because you were 'just going down to the corner.'

meatier showers
    Personal choices but I'd go with step-in pedals. You don't need a dropper post until you do, if that makes sense. Gotta learn a new way to ride compared to fixed post, after that you won't be able to ride without a dropper. As for full face helmets, be careful. Every time I'm on the trail and see a rider wearing a FF, I think, "That guy's either an amazing rider or a total spode." Usually it's the latter. But if you're doing park riding, genuine gravity or such, then get a FF for sure.
    =s
    disciplesofdirt.org

We don't quit riding because we get old.
    We get old because we quit riding.

mtbr member
    Jun 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparticus View Post
    As for full face helmets, be careful. Every time I'm on the trail and see a rider wearing a FF, I think, "That guy's either an amazing rider or a total spode." Usually it's the latter. But if you're doing park riding, genuine gravity or such, then get a FF for sure.
    =s
    Haha I have been that spode before with a FF helmet and no skills... I won't be going there again lol