mtbr member
    Mar 2013

help to choose the best bike between three options.

hi, i'm looking right now to buy a solid bike because at first my weight is 260 pounds or 117 kg and the street of my city are really bad. I have between 700$ and 1 000$ to put on the bike. With those needs, i went to some shop to figure what are the option. Plus, i dont really to jump or trails but i need something solid. I am around 6 feet tall so i think medium size should do it.

the first one i saw was the raleigh talus 29. here are the spec 2012 Raleigh Talus 29 | Mountain Bike Components and Specs
    . The dealer didn't have the price because he just receive it today. But, on the internet i saw it should be around 900$

the second one is the rocky mountain vapor 2013. Bikes | Mountain | XC Hardtail | Vapor. the price is 700$.

the third one is the opus flux wich is build by a compagny of my city. the spec are Opus Bikes Flux. the price of this one is 825$

Also, i don't really care about the weight if it can make me save some money. I just care about the quality of the product and if it will be solid enough to keep it for many years without destroying it. Thanks

Sam

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Go test ride them. 6 foot tall and you "think" a medium should do? Entry level bikes are almost all the same as far as components. Get the one that fits and feels best.

mtbr member
    I would look around for a steel framed 29-er hardtail in Large. Go with a rigid fork.

Sounds like Urban riding is more your gig. The suspension fork just adds weight and really doesn't help you much.

The steel frame and fork will help take some of the bite out of the bumps along with the 29-er wheels. Add a fast rolling tire and you've got an efficient yet bombproof commuter. Add disc brakes if you have hills or plan on riding in the rain.
    Just get out and ride!