mtbr member
    Jun 2008

New question here. Help! For $800, Ibex Trophy or Moto Comp?

I came to this question talking in some of the manufacturer forums, thought it'd be more appropriate here. Now, if things were apples to apples, I would probably pull the trigger on ordering the Ibex Trophy Comp X7 today... but I have one last decision to make. My LBS (Cycle Spectrum) has a Motobecane Fantom Comp for $795, nearly exactly the same price as the Trophy Comp X7. (Shipping and tax kind of balance each other out.) So here's my next question... my limited experience tells me that the Trophy Comp X7 is a slightly better bike, and that Ibex > Motobecane.... but...

The question is does
    1) supporting and forming a good relationship with my local bike shop
    and 2) the local bike shop offers free tune ups and free repairs (pay for parts only) for life

Do those two things outweigh the differences between the Ibex Trophy Comp X7 and the Motobecane Fantom Comp? How big of a difference are we talking in components? I find the Ibex extremely tempting, but the Fantom Comp somewhat... reassuring. I've ridden it, but would I just always be wondering about how much more I would like the Trophy Comp X7?

Opinions very much appreciated!!

Linkage
    http://www.ibexbikes.com/Bikes/TR-COMP-X7-Details.html
    http://www.mtbr.com/cat/bikes/xc-har...2_1527crx.aspx

http://www.bikesdirect.com/products/...tom_comp08.htm
    http://www.mtbr.com/cat/bikes/xc-har...3_1527crx.aspx

also this is my LBS in case anyone has any experience with them
    http://cyclespectrum.com/
    Last edited by Da3vid; 06-30-2008 at 07:20 PM.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    While I don't have much direct experience with Motobecane, I can state that Ibex is of nice build quality/ unbeatable price for its spec sheet. I would go that route for sure pending you don't mind a little out of the box tuning or purchasing a bike sight unseen.
    My experience with them has been quite positive.
    Ever been to Mountain Bike Tales Digital Magazine? Now if only the print rags would catch on!

Freshly Fujified

Go with your gut

Both bikes appear to have similar quality component specs. There are pros and cons with both. I am a huge Ibex proponent, and a huge SRAM proponent, but in this case, at the same price, there is definitely some merit in buying the Moto from the LBS. If there were a difference in price, or "value" as it pertained to the specifications, the choice would be easier. The X factor is in the frames. I know the Ibex frame is triple butted, and is using oversized bi-oval tubing on the downtube. It's one hell of a frame. I don't know enough about the Moto's frame to speak with any degree of authority about it's construction or materials.You've already ridden the Motobecane, you say you like it, so that should tell you something.
    'If Wal-Mart sold parachutes, who would jump?' Frank Havnoonian (quoting his father) Drexel Hill Cyclery

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    If the Moto wasn't available at the LBS, and I had to order it from BikesDirect.com...
    I take it you would go ahead and suggest the Ibex, right? If it wasn't for the Moto being available locally and with free service... is it still an even comparison?

Flying Goat
    The Ibex has the Tora with Motion control. Motobecane does not. The Trophy comes with better pedals, cranks, chain, rims, saddle.

Motobecane has better rear derailluer.

As for perks with having a good relationship with an LBS, sure. I do with mine (wrenchscience.com). Awesome guys who'll make sure you're taken cared off...

As for having their support, i personally prefer wrenching my own stuff unless i know and trust the mechanics. Thats always a challenge when dealing with an LBS you have never dealt with before. Most maintainence stuff you can pretty much do yourself anyways and the harder stuff like fork rebuilds, wheel builds and etc you're going to have to pay for labor anyways. Plus, it is fun wrenching... sometimes... other times, i call Ray at Wrenchscience... XD

Flying Goat
    Plus... the Trophy also has bladed chainstays for bump absorbtion. Ibex makes some sweet frames... Motobecane, i've no experience with...

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Whats the advantage of motion control and bladed chainstays? I've no experience with either of them.

Does it influence your decision at all that while I'm pretty technical and mechanically savvy, that I'm a beginner mtn biker... and will probably be doing some damage to my bike for awhile?

Also, the LBS tells me that any and all maintenance on the bike, not just tuneups, will be done free of labor costs, only cost of materials. It occurred to me after I left that maybe just the materials are marked up, so I plan to call on that tomorrow local.yahoo.com has several reviews of people shopping at this particular store though

Why can't Ibex just have a store down the street from me? I think my next step in deciding will be to call the LBS and ask them some more questions about the free maintenance like get some quotes on some sample parts and compare them to what I can find online, and see what how competent their mechanic sounds, and see if maybe they'd even cut me a deal on the bike.

Keep the good feedback and opinions coming! I'm still very much split on this.

Flying Goat
    Motion Control is Rockshox more advanced damping system. Very supple and doesnt spike at all compared to just a regular orifice rebound damper. I have the Moco on my Boxxer and just love it. Best fork i've ever owned and i'm sold on motion control. The bladed chainstays help with the lack of bump absorbtion which are no stranger to hardtails.

I wonder how the LBS is like... Stories like these are no stranger to the LBS

I blame myself 50% and the LBS 300%......

Only let guys you trust work on your bike... XD

If Ibex had a store down the street from you, then you'd be getting the Trophy for another $400 or more. Or, they would skimp out on components and lure you with a higher end model rear derailluer like the motobecane...

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Well, it sounds like everyone is on the "order from Ibex, learn to do the work or pay someone down the road" vs the "buy the Motobecane from LBS and have free labor for life" side.

Anyone care to play the devil's advocate for LBS?

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    List of specs

Motobecane Fantom Comp
    Frame Kinesis X6Series Aluminum 3.2lbs Nominal weight, replaceable rear derailleur hanger, 2x H2O bosses
    Fork RockShox TORA 302 WITH UTURN ADJUSTABLE TRAVEL (85-130MM) TurnKey LOCKOUT
    Crankset FSA Alpha-Drive 22/32/44T Integrated with BB spindle
    Bottom Bracket FSA Powerdrive EXO BB-5000
    Pedals FREE Gravity DualStage Clipless/Platform
    Front Derailleur Shimano Deore LX
    Rear Derailleur Shimano XT long cage
    Shifters Shimano Deore LX Rapid Fire 27 speed trigger shift
    Cassette/Freewheel Shimano HG cassette 9 speed 11-32T
    Chain Z9000 super narrow 9 speed
    Hubs Gravity Sealed Bearing for Disc with Quick Release
    Spokes Double Butted Stainless steel
    Rims WTB SpeedDisc doublewall aluminum
    Tires/Tubes Panaracer FireXC PRO 26x2.1 / Presta Valve
    Brakes Avid Juicy 3 Hydraulic Disc front and rear, 160mm rotor
    Brake Levers Avid Juicy 3 Hydraulic
    Headset Ritchey Sealed Bearing threadless 1 1/8 inch
    Handlebar Ritchey Rizer SC Butted Aluminum 6061 T6
    Stem Ritchey Comp Aluminum threadless
    Tape/Grip WTB DualCompound
    Saddle WTB SpeedV
    Seat Post Ritchey Comp Mountain 27.2mm aluminum
    Seat Post Clamp Super Light Aluminum

Ibex Trophy Comp X7
    Frame:

Triple-Butted 6069 Aluminum
    Fork:

Rock Shox Tora 318 Air* 100mm Travel
    w/ Motion Control platform, Remote Lockout & External Rebound
    Shifters:

SRAM X7 Trigger
    Front Derailleur:

SRAM X7
    Rear Derailleur:

SRAM X7
    Crankset:

FSA Moto MegaExo (44/32/22T) 175mm
    Bottom-Bracket:

FSA MegaExo (integrated spindle w/ outboard bearings)
    Cassette:

Shimano HG-50-9 (11-32T)
    Chain:

KMC Z9200 w/ Missing Link Connector
    Brakes:

Avid BB-7 Disc Brakes
    Levers:

Avid Single-Digit 7
    Rims:

Sun Equalizer EQ23
    Hubs:
    Novatec 4/2 Sealed Bearing Hubs
    Tires:
    WTB ExiWolf - 26" x 2.10
    Headset:
    Cane Creek S-3
    Handlebar:
    TruVativ XR Riser - OS 31.8 - 25mm rise x 640mm
    Stem:
    TruVativ XR - OS 31.8
    Seatpost:
    TruVativ XR - Single-Bolt - 31.6mm x 350mm
    Saddle:
    WTB Pure V Race
    Pedals:

Shimano PD-M520 Clipless w/ Cleats

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Do you really need LBS support is the first thing? if yes, then get the motobecane. You should learn how to fix your bike yourself, but for a starter its not bad to buy from an LBS.

Secondly, the Ibex is superior in a few small areas, but these are just nuances and in reality they are both very capable bikes in the same level.
    Last edited by taikuodo; 06-30-2008 at 02:56 PM.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Two more questions:

1) Do I really need LBS support? I don't know. I don't really know what goes into bike maintenance. I'm a very quick learner and I'm fairly mechanically inclined. How long does an average person spend doing bike maintenance?

2) Does the Ibex really only succeed on nuances? Is it only slightly better than the Moto, or significantly?

I'm so indecisive!

ride hard take risks
    Formotion Products
    http://www.formot

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    If you love stats, keep reading. Okay, here is a component break down and what I could figure out about each part on mtbr.com's reviews. Not all of them are 100%, but I think most of them I found the right part. Some I couldn't find at all. The first line is the Motobecane Fantom Comp and the second line is the Ibex Trophy Comp X7. Following each component is the review, what kinda sorta appears to be an avg price, and how many reviews each one had.

The overall Motobecane Fantom Comp rating is 4.56/5 with 18 ratings.
    If you add up all the ratings for the individual parts, the avg rating is 3.13/5. Total cost of components that I found for both bikes is $635.

The overall Ibex Trophy Comp X7 rating is 4.75/5 with 4 ratings
    If you add up all the ratings for the individual parts, the avg rating is 3.84/5. Total cost of components that I found for both bikes is $845

Cost of components on the Trophy Comp X7 are on average 13.0% more expensive after market. Interestingly enough, the average component is also rated 18.5% higher. Overall ratings of the Ibex are 4% higher than the Moto.

Frame Kinesis X6Series Aluminum 3.2lbs Nominal weight, replaceable rear derailleur hanger, 2x H2O bosses
    Triple-Butted 6069 Aluminum

Fork RockShox TORA 302 WITH UTURN ADJUSTABLE TRAVEL (85-130MM) TurnKey LOCKOUT 3.23/5 $200 14 reviews
    Rock Shox Tora 318 Air* 100mm Travel 3.74/5 $250 38 reviews
    w/ Motion Control platform, Remote Lockout & External Rebound

Crankset FSA Alpha-Drive 22/32/44T Integrated with BB spindle 2.46/5 $50 24 reviews
    FSA Moto MegaExo (44/32/22T) 175mm 4.33/5 $150 18 reviews??? (same as V-Drive?)

Bottom Bracket FSA Powerdrive EXO BB-5000 1.93/5 $40 28 reviews?? (same as Power Pro?)
    FSA MegaExo (integrated spindle w/ outboard bearings) 4.33/5 $150 18 reviews??? (same as V-Drive?)

Pedals FREE Gravity DualStage Clipless/Platform ???
    Shimano PD-M520 Clipless w/ Cleats 4.28/5 $40 86 reviews

Front Derailleur Shimano Deore LX 3.03/5 $25 124 reviews
    SRAM X7 2.2/5 $25 2 reviews

Rear Derailleur Shimano XT long cage 4.2/5 $75 420 reviews
    SRAM X7 4.14/5 $50 56 reviews

Shifters Shimano Deore LX Rapid Fire 27 speed trigger shift 3.93/5 $25 27 reviews
    SRAM X7 Trigger 4.13/5 $40 60 reviews

Cassette/Freewheel Shimano HG cassette 9 speed 11-32T Same
    Shimano HG-50-9 (11-32T) Same

Chain Z9000 super narrow 9 speed 1.95/5 $15 19 reviews
    KMC Z9200 w/ Missing Link Connector 3/5 $30 4 reviews

Hubs Gravity Sealed Bearing for Disc with Quick Release
    Novatec 4/2 Sealed Bearing Hubs

Spokes Double Butted Stainless steel

Rims WTB SpeedDisc doublewall aluminum
    Sun Equalizer EQ23

Tires/Tubes Panaracer FireXC PRO 26x2.1 / Presta Valve 4.29/5 $20 640 reviews
    WTB ExiWolf - 26" x 2.10 4.75/5 $30 8 reviews

Brakes Avid Juicy 3 Hydraulic Disc front and rear, 160mm rotor 2.8/5 $100 25 reviews
    Avid BB-7 Disc Brakes 4.6/5 $100 107 reviews

Brake Levers Avid Juicy 3 Hydraulic 2.8/5 $0 25 reviews
    Avid Single-Digit 7 4.86/5 $40 133 reviews

Headset Ritchey Sealed Bearing threadless 1 1/8 inch ???
    Cane Creek S-3 3/5 $30 8 reviews

Handlebar Ritchey Rizer SC Butted Aluminum 6061 T6 4.5/5 $35 14 reviews
    TruVativ XR Riser - OS 31.8 - 25mm rise x 640mm 5/5 $30 3 reviews

Stem Ritchey Comp Aluminum threadless 1/5 $? 1 review
    TruVativ XR - OS 31.8 4.4/5 $30 10 reviews

Tape/Grip WTB DualCompound

Saddle WTB SpeedV 4.22/5 $30 59 reviews
    WTB Pure V Race 3.44/5 $50 9 reviews

Seat Post Ritchey Comp Mountain 27.2mm aluminum 3.5/5 $20 2 reviews
    TruVativ XR - Single-Bolt - 31.6mm x 350mm 1.64/5 $10 11 reviews

Seat Post Clamp Super Light Aluminum