mtbr member
    Nov 2013

Hello, New to the forum and have some questions about my bike if anyone can help?

Hi all

I'm new to the mtbr forum but have been cycling for a couple of years. First proper bike was a 2013 cannondale badboy that got stolen from my university halls, my second bike was a charge greater 3 2014........ that got stolen from my university halls. A week later! (they were both locked in a bike shed so was not due to buying cheap locks). My current is a specialized crosstrail elite 2014 that I'm really happy with.

I have always personalized my transport whether it be my car or bicycle to fit my needs. I use the bike for fitness and commuting.

My question is to do with my gearing setup:

Shifters 20 Speed SRAM SL-700, 2x10-speed
    Front Mech SRAM X7, 2-speed
    Rear Mech SRAM X9, 10-speed
    Chainset SRAM S600, 10-Speed 48/32t
    Bottom Bracket SRAM GXP
    Chain KMC X-10, 10-speed, reusable Missing Link
    Cassette SRAM PG-1050, 10-speed, 11-36

I have always used shimano components over sram through product reveiws and lack of ever having a bike equiped with any sram products, up till now.

Shall i keep the sram setup or change to shimano? - opinions on Pros and cons?

I ride the bike on roads/rough roads, partial tracks and like the capability to be able to do some rough stuff if needed.

Id also like some help stripping some weight off the bike and sorting the gearing out so i can get some extra speed on road. MY current plan is to ditch the inner 32t chain ring, front derailer and shifter as they are not used due to always keep my bike on the 48t chain ring. (I'll also fit a chain guide to keep the chain on when changing through gears on the cassette).

what are your guys views and ideas towards my project. Any recommendations for parts to upgrade or modify?

Thanks for reading my post

Graham

Bicycle Addict
    You're drivetrain is nice, no reason to replace it. As far as ditching the 32t up front, you'll be loosing a lot of the small gears for climbing. I imagine pushing 48/36 up a hill might be kinda rough. If you need more top speed, maybe you should consider swapping the cassette for something like 11-32t. That will at least get you more high end speed.
    The unexamined life is not worth living - Socrates
    Bearded Women Racing

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    Deleted

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    Thanks for the reply J3SSEB

I hoped i picked a good bike as i did my research and it was fitted with parts in the middle of the sram groupset for quality. I'm not a hard core rock hopper or DH racer. i use my bike for fitness and commuting.

I personally find the smallest chain ring on my cassette is small enough for me without having to change on to my 32t crank chain ring. In regards to your idea of changing the cassette to an 11-32t, how does having 4 less teeth on the cassette increase the top speed. Sorry if its a stupid question, i am still learning. If you could teach me a little about cassettes id appreciate it as then i can make a good judgment on the type id like.

Bicycle Addict
    Sorry Graham, I confused myself this morning. Probably not a good idea to post first thing in the morning. You won't gain any top speed, but you will drop the big gears in exchange for smaller gears. 11-32 is more suited for road, which is what you're after right? If you find you can push the 48t in all gears then why not go 1X10.
    The unexamined life is not worth living - Socrates
    Bearded Women Racing

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    Not a problem, thanks for taking an interest in my query. So ill be dropping 4 teeth from the cassette so the gear change will be smoother? Causing less loss of momentum when changing gear? So i would in turn accelerate faster?

I'm researching different cassette and crank types now so I can hopefully talk more on your level and not ask simple questions.

I'm definitely changing the crank to a single chain ring like you mentioned. I will initially do this by just removing the smaller chain ring, shifter and replacing the front mech for a chain guide of some sort. If i find myself wanting more top speed would a single 52t road bike crank and a 11-32t cassette be a good option for an upgrade?