mtbr member
    Nov 2013

Hello new to the forum 2 birds with one stone.....

hi guys and girls,

new to the forum so firstly I want to say hello.

My work have just launched a cycle to work scheme. Im looking at 2 bikes the first one is a Felt 7 fifty Felt 7 Fifty | Cycle Solutions

The second is the Specialized Rockhopper Comp Specialized Rockhopper Comp 2014 Mountain Bike | Cycle Solutions

The riding I will be doing the majority of the time will be on the roads/flat off road but for the summer i would like to do more off road. I dont like hybrid or road bikes so im looking at these 2. Wondering if anyone can advise me on the better of the 2, im thinking the felt but need a second opinion.

thanks in advance

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by bluemooner View Post
    hi guys and girls,

new to the forum so firstly I want to say hello.

My work have just launched a cycle to work scheme. Im looking at 2 bikes the first one is a Felt 7 fifty Felt 7 Fifty | Felt 7 Fifty | Cycle Solutions

The second is the Specialized Rockhopper Comp Specialized Rockhopper Comp 2014 Mountain Bike | Specialized Rockhopper Comp 2014 Mountain Bike | Cycle Solutions

The riding I will be doing the majority of the time will be on the roads/flat off road but for the summer i would like to do more off road. I dont like hybrid or road bikes so im looking at these 2. Wondering if anyone can advise me on the better of the 2, im thinking the felt but need a second opinion.

thanks in advance

Reposted with links

Clueless genius
    Feb 2011
    The Felt has significantly better spec than the specialized does. It also has a triple-ring crankset, which has a 44t big ring that will suit you much better while commuting than the specialized's. The fork is a step up, which will be nice once you start riding offroad, the whole drivetrain is higher quality. Now, the only issue is that 27.5 tires can sometimes be hard to find, but worst comes to worst, you can order them online. The 29" wheels will roll a bit faster, but the Felt is a lot better value for money.

I would also suggest getting a set of slick tires for commuting, some bike lights (just small, flashing units to be seen will be enough, you can spend more for brighter once if you really want to), and clip-on fenders if it rains near you. IF you don't have a helmet, get one.
    2009 GT Sanction 2.0
    2007 C'dale Prophet 5
    1994 C'dale M400

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Spykr View Post
    The Felt has significantly better spec than the specialized does. It also has a triple-ring crankset, which has a 44t big ring that will suit you much better while commuting than the specialized's. The fork is a step up, which will be nice once you start riding offroad, the whole drivetrain is higher quality. Now, the only issue is that 27.5 tires can sometimes be hard to find, but worst comes to worst, you can order them online. The 29" wheels will roll a bit faster, but the Felt is a lot better value for money.

I would also suggest getting a set of slick tires for commuting, some bike lights (just small, flashing units to be seen will be enough, you can spend more for brighter once if you really want to), and clip-on fenders if it rains near you. IF you don't have a helmet, get one.
    Thanks for the reply. I did prefer the felt. However I can't get
    Slicks for it due to the tyre size do I risk it and wait to see if any come out in the summer??

Or do I go with another felt like this...

Felt Six 50 2013 Mountain Bike | Cycle Solutions

Or

Felt Nine 50 2014 Mountain Bike | Cycle Solutions

Clueless genius
    Feb 2011
    If your commute isn't very long (3 miles/5km at most) you'd be fine with the knobby's. The schwalbe's are a racing tire and roll very quickly, however they will wear quickly on the streets, which will leave you in need of tires come summer, even spring.

Between those two you just linked, the Nine50 I think is the better overall bike. Better wheels, better drivetrain, fork is roughly equivalent (Suntour gets a bad rap, but the raidon is a very, very solid entry-level fork, on par with similar offerings from rockshox), less expensive, and the 29" wheels will suit you better for commuting.
    Replacement tires will be more expensive, but a decent set of slick tires will last a long time. Something with a built-in flat protection layer is very nice to have. The Vittoria Randonneur was a popular, inexpensive option at the shop I worked at. Look for something similar. For the 29er, chances are you'll find a slick tire measured in 700c rather than 29" for a slick. I'd suggest something like a 700x32 or a 700x38c at most for a slick tire.
    2009 GT Sanction 2.0
    2007 C'dale Prophet 5
    1994 C'dale M400

The Fastest of Bananas
    I would recommend a set of slicks, or something with a solid middle tread, monday through friday, and when you want to ride off road, have a set of knobbies for that.