mtbr member

Helicopter tape advice needed

I just got some tape and would like to put some on my fork and at least on the downtube and chainstays. What techniques do people use to make it look good? Do you wrap it around the tube or cut long strips? I tried using a credit card to smooth out bubbles but it still looked like crap, so I took it off. I really want to protect my frame, but my own ineptitude may keep me from doing it. Any advice would be greatly appreciated, especially if there might be some video guides for this.

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    Raceshield - Installation on Cervelo S2 (Part-02) - YouTube

This is the method I used on my Ibis Mojo HD.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    For the chainstays I've done the long strips. Sometimes in two sections and sometimes made a cut lengthwise so could account for the stay getting longer.

Never done it on the downtube. Last two bikes had something already installed.

Fat & Single
    Spray with mild soapy water.... needs to dry for a while but you will have no bubbles. You also get to position it wherever you want.
    Ti O'Beast
    Indy Fab
    One9
    Dirty Disco CX

Flow like water
    Quote Originally Posted by ozzybmx View Post
    Spray with mild soapy water.... needs to dry for a while but you will have no bubbles. You also get to position it wherever you want.
    Also, the place I work uses Windex to do the same thing (applying vinyl decals to painted metal parts).

mtbr member
    May 2012
    isopropyl alcohol works too