mtbr member
    Apr 2004

Heckler vs Devinci Guzzler or Magma.

Well, the snow is melting around Calgary and I am ready for a new ride. I am into agressive trail riding and light freeriding. By light freeriding I mean hits in the 6-8ft range on a burly trail bike.

I have owned a Heckler already and was set to get another one this spring and then I test rode a Devinci Guzzler for 05 and now I am not quite sure. Both bikes are burly enough to handle the rigors of aggressive riding, but I dont have much experience with Devinci. I have always been impressed with the Heckler as the "one" bike but I am always looking. I was considering the Enduro but it is priced way too high for a large company.

Both the Heckler and Devinci would cost about the same after a few mods to the Devinci, so price is not a deciding factor.

The Heckler is basically a 5.7" travel bike with a longer stroke shock and the Devinci has 6" of rear travel and is paired with a Pike fork. I will be using the Pike on the Heckler also if I get one.

The Heckler is a tried and true sp design and the Devinci is a horst link 4 bar four when bought in Canada. (When bought in the States, Devinci has to modify the bike to meet patent laws from Specialized).

One thing I like about the Devinci line is that they made right in Canada and the build quality is second to none. The welds are tight and clean and the frame looks super strong and can accomodate a DC fork without voiding the warranty. Not that I am interested in slapping a dc on but it shows that Devinci has faith in the strength of their product. I went on a short test ride and the Devinci felt like a solid bike and climbed nicely.

Does anyone have any thoughts on the Devinci vs Heckler saga?

Thanks.

There's no app for this.

ignore this see below

I claim the idiot award for today

There's no app for this.

see if you can

get a hold of Banzai rider (check members list), he knows DeVinci inside out.

Best I can say is I had an '00 Heckler, and moved to Bullit, now on a four bar Knolly Vtach, and do trails with a low end '03 Enduro. I much prefer the 4 bar Horst to the single pivot. The bikes simply stay planted better for me.

hope that helps, Jim (Vancouver)

mtbr member
    I'd give the Devinci a shot - I wish they didn't have to modify the horst link to sell them in the states othewise they would have been high on my list.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by JimC.
    get a hold of Banzai rider (check members list), he knows DeVinci inside out.

Best I can say is I had an '00 Heckler, and moved to Bullit, now on a four bar Knolly Vtach, and do trails with a low end '03 Enduro. I much prefer the 4 bar Horst to the single pivot. The bikes simply stay planted better for me.

hope that helps, Jim (Vancouver)
    The Knolly looks like a serious machine. Are you riding that beast on the Shore? I am aware of the benefits of the 4bar vs sp but I do like the simplicity of sp. The Devinci uses needle bearings and this reduces maintenance woes. This is what the salesman told me anyways.

I am leaning towards the Devinci. The home grown frame quality is big plus imo.

There's no app for this.

yeah

the bike (Knolly) is made here in Van, and is waaaaayyyy too much bike for me but I do love it....very forgiving.

Banzai rider is an acquaintance fm. Montreal who did extensive research and bought the Banzai last year, and knows all the poop on bearings, things that work and things that don't. if you can find him I'm sure he'd love to help.

If you can't find him PM me.

Also, you might call Kim Steed at Steedcycles.com in Van, he's had Hecklers and SC for years,, and also carries DeVinci. he's been in Extreme 1 way back, but could likely talk to you intelligently about the differences.

Hope that helps, Jim

mtbr member
    Apr 2004

Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by JimC.
    the bike (Knolly) is made here in Van, and is waaaaayyyy too much bike for me but I do love it....very forgiving.

Banzai rider is an acquaintance fm. Montreal who did extensive research and bought the Banzai last year, and knows all the poop on bearings, things that work and things that don't. if you can find him I'm sure he'd love to help.

If you can't find him PM me.

Also, you might call Kim Steed at Steedcycles.com in Van, he's had Hecklers and SC for years,, and also carries DeVinci. he's been in Extreme 1 way back, but could likely talk to you intelligently about the differences.

Hope that helps, Jim
    I called Steedcyles and I dont know if I got Kim on the line but the guy I talked to knew his stuff about Hecklers and Devinci bikes. He had nothing but good things to say about both bikes with the main difference of course being the 4bar linkage on the Devinci which would provide a more active suspension.

I asked him about maintenance and the Heckler is a no brainer for reliability being a sp but the Devinci has been relatively trouble free with the needle bearings. I was informed that it is important to grease the bearings once a season and they should remain trouble free.

I guess I will flip a coin or something. I am leaning towards the Devinci but there are some stock parts on the Guzzler that I dont care for. ie stem and crankset and brakes. I have an extra crankset and brakes. The Magma has better parts but I dont need a full Saint Gruppo. The sram set up on the Guzzler is not too shabby.

The price for the Devinci frame was surprising though, at around 1950.00 compared to 1300.00 for the Heckler. The Devinci becomes a deal with the Guzzler costing $2500.00 with a decent parts spec and the next step up is the Magma at $3500.00. I can build a custom Heckler for 3 to 4 grand.

Thanks for the help and I will let you know what I end up with.