mtbr member
    Aug 2009

Headtube angle adjustments

Right now I have a IH warrior 6.0 and I want more travel on it. I know they make shims to fit the stem of forks but I was wondering if anyone made a shin that fit into a headtube but the hole in the center was cut at an angle allowing you to put more travel on your fork but still have a well handling bike. I know the idea is far fetched but I don't want to upgrade frames.

Any advice?

-Smoke

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Smoke324
    Right now I have a IH warrior 6.0 and I want more travel on it. I know they make shims to fit the stem of forks but I was wondering if anyone made a shin that fit into a headtube but the hole in the center was cut at an angle allowing you to put more travel on your fork but still have a well handling bike. I know the idea is far fetched but I don't want to upgrade frames.
    I can sort of visualize what you're describing. It seems to me that your headset cups would have asymmetrical holes in them so that the steerer tube would go through the head tube at an angle. I know of no such product. (I'm not an expert on such things though.) If such a thing existed, it would have to have external headset cups so that the bearings would also be offset. If the IH Warrior uses an internal (or semi-integrated) headset, there's no way that such a thing would be possible as there'd be no room for the bearings within the headtube.

How much more travel did you want? A travel increase of 20mm will slacken the HTA by approximately 1 degree.

Another idea is to put an adjustable travel fork on the bike. You could dial it down for climbing and increase the travel for descending.

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    There are such systems, but they have to be designed into the head tube. Commencal comes to mind.
    http://www.commencal.com/news/bicycl...ures/meta6.jpg

Notice the pinch bolts at the headtube. The HT holds a sleeve that can be rotated/replaced (I don't remember which) for 3 different head angles.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by KevinB

How much more travel did you want? A travel increase of 20mm will slacken the HTA by approximately 1 degree.

Another idea is to put an adjustable travel fork on the bike. You could dial it down for climbing and increase the travel for descending.
    I have an adjustable fork on it now. I don't want to dial it down or anything like that I want to put more travel on my bike. The max travel the frame geometry can take is 130mm and I want to change the Steerer Tube angle so the bike fork can have more travel without the horrible handling/strain on the frame.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    So to have such a product it has to be built into the frame? Dang, I was hoping for a shim like object. Oh well if anything else comes to mind tell me

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    I have an adjustable fork on it now. I don't want to dial it down or anything like that I want to put more travel on my bike. The max travel the frame geometry can take is 130mm and I want to change the Steerer Tube angle so the bike fork can have more travel without the horrible handling/strain on the frame.
    So... you want a steeper HTA at the longer travel?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by KevinB
    So... you want a steeper HTA at the longer travel?
    No, it seems he wants to keep the same headset angle but with more travel. Adding a 20mm taller fork basically slackens the head angle by 1deg, so he wants to offset that change by making the head angle of the frame a degree slacker than it is now. Unfortunately the bike would still not have the same geometry and handling because frame would still be lifted higher in the front, slackening the seat tube and raising the BB

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by boomn
    No, it seems he wants to keep the same headset angle but with more travel. Adding a 20mm taller fork basically slackens the head angle by 1deg,
    I agree with this.
    so he wants to offset that change by making the head angle of the frame a degree slacker than it is now.
    But I don't agree with this. I think you meant "steeper" instead of "slacker". If he did (or could do) as you suggest, the effective HTA would end up being two degrees slacker instead of the same angle as he had at the lesser travel.
    Unfortunately the bike would still not have the same geometry and handling because frame would still be lifted higher in the front, slackening the seat tube and raising the BB
    Yeah, I agree with this too.

mtbr member
    Yep, read what I meant not what i wrote, lol. I did mean steeper

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by boomn
    No, it seems he wants to keep the same headset angle but with more travel. Adding a 20mm taller fork basically slackens the head angle by 1deg, so he wants to offset that change by making the head angle of the frame a degree slacker than it is now. Unfortunately the bike would still not have the same geometry and handling because frame would still be lifted higher in the front, slackening the seat tube and raising the BB
    Actually, I want to change the headset angle to put a longer travel fork on the bike without compromising frame geometry.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Actually, I want to change the headset angle to put a longer travel fork on the bike without compromising frame geometry.
    I think we're all saying roughly the same thing.

But boomn is right. Even if you were to raise the front end in a way that didn't disturb the head tube angle, the fact that you've increased the height of the front end will cause the BB height to increase and will also cause the seat tube angle to decrease.

Have you tried riding the bike with the fork extended? If so, did you notice a change in the handling?

Something else to try is to increase the amount of fork travel, but also increase the amount of fork sag and decrease the amount of rear shock sag. I have no idea how the bike will feel when you do this, but if you get the sag adjustments right, the geometry (when you're sitting on the bike) will be pretty close to that which you had with the fork dialed for less travel.