Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Headset Questions

1K views 10 replies 4 participants last post by  bad mechanic 
#1 ·
I wasnt real sure where to put this so if need be feel free to move it. But I just ordered a XFusion Velvet RL for my 10' Giant Yukon FX and I was going to go ahead and change out the headset while I was at it. Call me vain, but im looking for a blue or blue accented headset, such as the Crank Brothers Cobalt series. Im looking at the Crank Brothers Cobalt XC Directset but im not entirely sure it will fit since I cant find any info on my current headset (Its a FSA headset but im not sure which one). The specs on it are...

Weight: 65g
Size: 1 1/8in.
Stack height: 20.56mm including crown race
Top stack height: 10.53mm
Bottom stack height: 10.03mm

I know my bike has a straight 1/18th steerer tube but beyond that im pretty clueless.

1st Question: Will it fit?
2nd Question: Is it any better than my current headset or should I spend the $57 elsewhere?

Sorry for the newbie questions. :p

See less See more
Reactions: bad mechanic
#2 ·
You need to post a picture of your bike. From what I can see on Giant's website your bike 'should' have a semi-integrated HS. The Crank Bros you're looking at is the regular type. If your bike does in fact have a semi integrated type you should replace it with that type.

Edit: save you some work; does your HS look like this?

Yukon FX (2010) - Bikes | Giant Bicycles | United States

Drew

#3 ·
Yeah thats it. From what Im seeing it doesnt look like theres a whole lot of options for semi integrated headsets, so I guess ill just stick with the FSA for now.

#5 ·
Ive been looking at the Cane Creek 110 but I dont thik my headset should be a priority right now, I think im gonna spend that cash on something like a set of carbon bars instead.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.