Downhill fan

Headset questions

I removed the headset from my Raleigh m60 to use in my K2 Evo & the headset is too large & wont fit. So i guess there are different sizes? The tube where the headset goes is larger in the m60 than the K2. Any recommendations?? I am new to building up mountain bikes so be easy on me LOL.
    I'm thinking about shreddin' it up right now!
    Giant Glory DH (custom)
    K2 Evo 4.0 FS XC (custom)

Former Bike Wrench
    Older Raleigh bikes used 1" headsets...but this would make it smaller. Headsets are press fit, so they don't just drop in.

Downhill fan
    The Raleigh is a 2002 M60. The K2 Evo is a 2000. The headset on the Raleigh is bigger than the K2 Evo.
    Giant Glory DH (custom)

mtbr member
    The Raleigh used a zero stack headset while the K2 uses a normal 1 1/8 threadless headset. You will need a new headset and in the case of your fork you might want to have the old race taken off and a new one installed at your local bike shop or just have the whole fork/headset installed by a shop.

Downhill fan
    The front schock I am using is a Judy TT from the M60 (I know not the best) & I dont think there is any race that needs to be taken off - everything comes off the fork shaft/steer tube. It looks as though only a new headest is needed.
    Giant Glory DH (custom)

Former Bike Wrench
    Quote Originally Posted by 95 GT Rebound
    The front schock I am using is a Judy TT from the M60 (I know not the best) & I dont think there is any race that needs to be taken off - everything comes off the fork shaft/steer tube. It looks as though only a new headest is needed.
    Unless your new headset uses the same crown race, it does need to be removed and replaced with the new headset's crown race.

Downhill fan
    Right, I think what i need is a new smaller crown race. isnt that something I can install myself. I removed them from the Raleighs frame fairly easy. do those come with a new headset?
    Giant Glory DH (custom)

Singletrack Slayer
    Yes, the Race is part of the headset and u must remove the old one and install the new one. You can use a hammer and screwdriver and carefully remove the old one. for the new race you should use the right tools as too not damage the new race.

Downhill fan
    The K2 Evo FS frame I got doesnt even have the races in it. Thats the way I got it. Just a bare naked headtube LOL. I am heading down to my local bike shop tomorrow to see if they can set me up with the correct headset assy & maybe install the races. I want to paint the frame before that but I am afraid to mess up the fresh paint so I will have the races installed & then paint the frame doing a very good masking job in that area!
    Giant Glory DH (custom)

Downhill fan
    Case closed! I got a new Cane Creek S1 headset & a new Dart 2 shock. I did the final assy on my K2 tonight & got ride time at about 9:30 tonight. 2 weeks ago it was a bare aluminum frame (no paint or anything on it)

Now a full bike again! Will post up more of the completed bike with all its parts on & the new shock when i get it on.
    Giant Glory DH (custom)