mtbr member

Hardtail frame - which size?

Hi,
    I'm going to buy a hardtail frame:Velo | Cz??ci i akcesoria | Accent | PEAK I'm not sure which size should I choose L or XL. The problem is in toptube lenght: 610 or 640 mm (24' or 25'). I'm 185 cm (6,o6 ft) tall. Now I have frame 600 mm (23'). Is difference of 10 or 40 mm (1-2') so important? I prefer xc marathon routes in flat terrain.

veggie
    May 2010
    For me there is definitely a sweet spot and it is a big difference 1 inch either way. I'm 6'1'' and a 24'' top tube feels massive and a 22'' top tube is too cramped for pedaling. But I prefer smaller-ish bikes. If there is any way to ride a similar bike and see what feels best that would be beneficial. Other than that you can adjust it with stem length a little bit.

dru
    mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    I'd bet you'd want that XL.

I'm 6'5", and have very long legs and arms.

The Salsa has a 630 mm TT and 23.75" seat tube. The bike has a 120 mm stem.

My custom frame has a 650 mm TT and a 24" seat tube. It runs a 110 mm stem.

A 610 mm TT wouldn't even come close to fitting me properly. I'd bet it won't fit you either. Get the XL.

Drew
    occasional cyclist

mtbr member
    Unfortunately there is no possibility to try because those frames are sell separatly only. Yes, I'd like to buy XL size but I wonder if it won't be hard to steer on climbs. I have one more offer: Specialized Hardrock XC 2008 frame 21'. This frame has the seat tube 530 mm like in my old frame and the top tube has 630 mm, so it is between Peak L and XL. But Hardrock is much heavier then Peak . So I'm still thinking and searching. Thanks for advise

dru
    mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by sagitt77 View Post
    Yes, I'd like to buy XL size but I wonder if it won't be hard to steer on climbs.
    The head angle will determine whether the bike is hard to steer when climbing more than anything aside from stem length and how low the bars are. A longer frame actually has less weight on the front wheel.

A long TT frame won't want to endo when going off of steep stuff like log piles and drops. There was a night and day difference between the orange frame and the previous much shorter 26er I had.

Another thing you need to consider is seat post length. If you are 6'6", how much seatpost is sticking out of a 530 mm seat tubed frame?

Measure your inseam from your crotch right to the floor. Mine's 38", and those two bikes have 600 mm seat tubes. There's about 8 inches of seat post showing.

Drew
    occasional cyclist

mtbr member
    I have 6,06''and my leg is 35'. Seatpost in my old frame is sticking out of 9,5'. The head angle of Peak frame is 70, and of Hardrock is 70,25. So, what do you think Drew?

dru
    mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    You are looking at the Peak Accent 26" frame right? I've been using Google translate from Polish to English!

The 70 degree HA works perfect on my 26" bike. No wheel flop when going slow, and not twitchy when going fast.

Il think you should get the Peak XL frame for 4 reasons:

1 Short stems and long top tubes are the norm these days.
    2 The long wheel base will make the bike way less likely to endo when descending.
    3 You are very tall and the XL has a longer headtube. (mine's 190 MM)
    This frame has the seat tube 530 mm like in my old frame
    the XL Accent also has a 530 mm seat tube so you'd have 9.5" of exposed seat post. The L will give you 11.5" of post (too much imho)
    Drew
    Last edited by dru; 01-19-2013 at 07:14 AM.
    occasional cyclist

mtbr member
    Thanks for engagement Drew . Yes, it's Accent Peak 26'. I think XL will be better for me, too. You are right that the seat post will be to long in L size.
    But I still have doubts about this frame. I have heard opinions of poor lacquer. I have limited funds (150$) so I'm going to look for used frame on auction portals.

mtbr member
    Finally I choosed and my bike is ready
    Hardtail frame - which size?-s4024650.jpg
    Thanks for advice to everyone