TheGoat

Hard Tail or Full Suspension?

Hello everyone. I currently ride a hard tail at the moment that I have upgraded. I do not mind riding a HT but before getting a better HT frame I wanted to get some opinions on what people feel is better, having a HT or having a FS. I ride trails with a considerable amount of climbing but then also the same amount of descending. I run a 1x9 system on my current bike currently. My riding style does get me out of the saddle a lot more than some so I am not sure FS is the way to go for me. I am also looking for a a new frame that can handle 130mm to 140mm of travel. I do hit drops while riding so having more travel is needed. Hopefully this will give everyone a good idea of how I ride as well as what types of trails I ride. So opinions on whether to go wih a FS or a HT and any suggestions on frames is much appreciated. This is also a search for 26 frames not 29ers. Thank you in advance for your opinions and advice. Thank you.

The Goat

mtbr member
    Sounds like you ride the same type of trails I do and enjoy getting technical on the downhill sections.

I'm in the same situation basically, with a hardtail on which I've upgraded pretty much everything but the frame/drivetrain and have decided that getting a better HT frame is just going to restrict me rather than make things more fun, so I'm looking for a suspension frame to replace the one on my hardtail with, so I can start doing more drops, trail features, and go faster overall.

Downhill fan
    My frame (LOL) of thought is...... if its mostly downhill, the FS is the way to go. You seem to have a good mix of trail/XC, uphill & downhill so i would say a good 26" HT frame should be just fine. I do the same riding you do & I haul azz on both my HTs which both serve double duty as downhill bikes too when i take them out on full days of DH mountain biking. Just a thought.
    I'm thinking about shreddin' it up right now!
    Giant Glory DH (custom)
    K2 Evo 4.0 FS XC (custom)

mtbr member
    May 2009
    My short answer is... both. Everyone has different ideas on what kind of $ to spend on biking, but I like to have one sweet light racing hardtail for longer, less technical endurance XC, and one good fs trail bike. That covers any races or rides that I am interested in.

ride hard take risks
    Time for a 2nd bike.

Haro Xeon http://www.harobikes.com/mtb/tab2_subNav1.php
    Formotion Products
    http://www.formot

Ride Responsibly
    Short wheelbase squishy

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    My suggestion to you is that if you are in a position where you can rent or borrow a full suspension trail/AM bike then do that a couple times. I say a couple because with just one ride you may just be over excited about the dual suspension idea and not think clearly if it is for you. Everybody here is going to have a concept of what you should do based on their experiences. Some good, some not so good. That's why I say give yourself an experience before you buy anything.

Also, drops do not really mean you have to get a full suspension. An all mountain hardtail can do those just fine. Just be smooth, don't abuse.

For reference I ride a Kona Coiler, Zion 737 (29er HT), and a newly build AM HT (140mm fork) which is really fun. I like them all, but the 29er the least because it is more XC than I prefer.

ride hard take risks
    CroMo
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Formotion Products
    http://www.formot