mtbr member
    Jan 2012

Hard to switch between two bikes??

Hey folks,

I have a problem. I have two bikes that I really love to ride(not a problem). My problem is one bike is my XC SS that I ride around my local trails. My other bike is a 6.5" travel FS bike that I ride in the mountains and on more techy stuff(jumps, drops, etc.). I really enjoy each bike for different types of riding but, every time I ride one for a while then switch to the other, I have a really tough time getting used to the bike. A buddy who has a similar situation told me to set up both bikes as similar as possible. So I put the same seat and bars on both. Helped a little. The problem seems to be that on my SS(100mm 10deg. rise stem with straight seat post) I feel like I'm over the front end too much. On my FS bike(60mm, no rise stem with a setback seat post) I feel great.

Question:
    Would it help to switch to a shorter stem(80mm, no rise?) and a setback on my XC SS to make both bikes feel more similar? How would a 20mm difference affect handling? Anyone else have this problem?
    Thanks folks.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010

Re: Hard to switch between two bikes??

IMO, they are 2 different tools for 2 different purposes; I wouldn't make them any more similar to each other. If they feel uncomfortable, make sure the setup is correct for each discipline... i.e. the SS for xc, the dually for "all mountain".

I personally have 2 different xc bikes (one rigid SS and a geared hardtail) that I have set up with identical stack/reach measurements, but they are both xc bikes. I wouldn't want my long travel dual susp bike to feel like a xc bike... .02.

Sent using Tapatalk 2

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    I sort of had the same issue. Last season I had a demo for DH and a 4 inch travel XC bike. I got so used to rallying on the demo that whenever I rode the XC bike I felt like I was awkwardly forward and on the verge of snapping it in half on the downhills. My solution this year is to build 1 bike to do it all. I've always believed you simply need different bikes for different applications, but given the technology these days and the fact that I race in neither discipline I'm gonna try it. I'm building a Rune v2 with 650b wheels, 6 inches travel front and back, xx1 drivetrain. My reasoning was that I think I'll enjoy XC even more if I have something that really rips on the downhills, even if it's a little more work going up. And no doubt about it I'll be sacrificing some DH ability, but that I'm ok with since my scheduling and selection of riding buddies makes trail/XC rides much easier and more common for me.

> /dev/null 2&>1

Re: Hard to switch between two bikes??

I agree with jten9, they are different bikes and they will feel different. I would add that if you ride both frequently you will become adept at switching without any adjustment period.

Also riding bikes with different setups, whether subtle or drastic, helps you understand how geometry changes affect handling, and makes you a better rider. Say one has slow steering and one has fast steering. The faster steering bike will force you to be more balanced and stable on your downhills, staying loose and pumping gnarly stuff. The slower steering bike will teach you to use body english to clear tight curvy flat or climbing technical situations, to carry momentum through.

But don't let that stop you from choosing the right stem for the bike!

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Thanks for the help folks. I ended up buying a cheap FSA 80mm Stem. Im going to try it out to see if it helps. I know that its impossible to get both bikes to feel the same, especially since my SS has a rigid fork. What I was hoping to do was to get the cockpits as similar as possible(i.e. stretched out v. scrunched up, laid back v. over the bars, etc). I didnt mention that on my XC bike I went with much wider bars with alot less sweep than what I had on it. That alone adds alot to my feeling of being too stretched out. The 80mm stem might just get me back to what the bike felt like before. Thanks again.

Bicyclochondriac.
    Jan 2004
    You say it feels weird going from the FS bike to the SS, but not the other way around. That makes me think the issue is the setup on the SS, not the fact that they are two different bikes.
    15mm is a second-best solution to a problem that was already solved.

mtbr member
    Off topic:
    Quote Originally Posted by ironxcross View Post
    I'm building a Rune v2 with 650b wheels, 6 inches travel front and back, xx1 drivetrain.
    Just read about them; love the 26"/650B interchangeability option. It's on my list...

On topic:
    Good advice by everyone else.